• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

More work completed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Wrightsman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I been working hard on the rifle here lately!
Installed a nice patchbox and release button. There are a few minor mistakes but that's the whole purpose of this rifle build. I learn from the mistakes.
The pushrod hole under the buttplate was drilled to low and miss aligned with the spring catch for the door pin. I fixed it by mixing wood shavings with tight bond wood glue and filled the hole in with this. After the glue dried I re-drilled the hole higher up on the spring catch to make the button easier to push.
Works great now.

I've ordered some engraving tools so I can try my hand at some engraving next :)
Here are some pics of the patchbox. I really like it and think it turned out great. Better then I expected.

Looks great! you've figured out the real purpose and fulfillment of builds---an excuse to buy more tools! Of course, personal self-education is in there somewhere too.

Just make sure you practice a bit on scrap with the gravers a bit before you start in on the brass. Brass I think is a little trickier to engrave than steel. It's softer, so tools have a tendency to dig more than in steel. And don't be too ambitious with the designs of your first engraving projects. If it's a relatively simple pattern, if you don't get it just right you can look past it. If it's a complicated one and you don't execute it well, it will just look like an etch-a-sketch mess.

I'm with you though. Every significant piece of metal on a LR should be engraved to some extent.

:confused: heh...somethings not right here.....you should have bigger gaps between your wood and the BP, and your PB wood to metal fit is great....should be nicked and gappy..........

you better send this rifle to me an tomtom to finish it up right~~~ :hmm:

and those PB screws are 90degrees with the metal...you should of left at least ONE of them proud to the PB.....canted just a few degrees...

your as bad as dave........... :grin:

marc n tomtom

Last edited by a moderator:
Well,I meant for this post to be a reply in my JP Beck rifle build topic. Not sure how this post became a separate topic. :confused:

Anyways, I'm just going to be using a small straight graver and 1oz chasing hammer. The design I'm using is very simple looking compared to some of the engraving I've seen on some long rifles.

Back