• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Most Dangerous Tool?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoyoteJoe

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I've had buffing wheels snatch a knife blade out of my hand and hurl it into the floor, scared the pee outa me but no harm done. I often have cuts on my left thumb from using it to guide a file. I've frequently branded fingers by picking up hot metal. I've run screwdrivers into fingers and thumb. BUT, the one tool with which I most often hurt myself is the hacksaw! Just can't seem to lighten up on that last stroke and run a knuckle into the vise or the sharp end of the work I just cut.
What is your most dangerous tool? :hmm:

The tool that bit me was the bandsaw.

I was cutting tiny pieces of 101 oxygen free copper (gummy and grabby) and looked up for a second.

Felt a strange vibration in my left forearm, and the blade ran quietly all of a sudden.

Middle finger left hand- the tip was hanging by a sliver.

Rinsed with paint thinner, and bandaged, it re-connected! The very tip is dead for feeling, but that is about it. Can hardly see it. :shake:

I have found that I have acquired a "feel" for what is dangerous and what is safe when using a particular power tool...mainly tablesaws and bandsaws. What I mean is that when I go over in my mind a specific operation, and it doesn't feel "right", then I either modify my plan or else resort to using a hand tool if possible to complete the operation. Better to carefully plan the cut than to rush into it and risk injury that could have otherwise been avoided.

Most dangerous tool in my shop? My brain... :rotf:

Second most dangerous would be a hammer. Any hammer. No explanation needed :haha: ...

Right behind that would be the tin snips; they aren't so bad by themselves, but I usually forget to watch the edges after I cut and before I file, so I end up cut or stuck on the raw edges of the "project" :cursing: ...

M

One word. (Wife) Nice to have around but you never know when it will backfire on you.
Fox :thumbsup:

5 below, 8am, jacked up on huntin energy, dead elk = skinnin knife to knuckle :cursing:
I try to be careful but after skinnin several elk wile guiding I usally get myself wile I am sholder deep in elk guts trying to cut the lining off the tenderloins.
I even cut one of our meat packers when he reached in to help :youcrazy:
felt bad had to buy the beers that night :rotf:
:hatsoff:

The tool that bit me was the bandsaw

nothing like spliting yer thumb through the middle of the nail bout an 1/2"....ouch :cursing: ....enough said.............bob

Most dangerous tool for me is the router that I use to rough in barrel channels. I haven't turned it loose on my fingers yet, but it has had a big chunk out the side of a very expensive curly maple blank. All you can do is throw the blank away or hope you can make a half stock out of it :cursing:

Any sharp tool, if I don't watch what I'm doing. So far the ones that have gotten me are a chisel (cut the tip of my left ring finger almost completely off -- as Erzulis Boat described, it healed back but has very little feeling) and the bandsaw (had the base of my left forefinger in line with the blade, which found a soft spot in the pine I was cutting and didn't stop until it had bitten into bone).

Finger and hand placement are everything. Push sticks are advised in any iffy situation, though of course I'm the worst about not using them. If you have a spouse, a friend, a kid, a customer -- anyone -- who can't grasp the concept of leaving you alone while things with blades and motors are running, either stop working or send the offender away as nicely as possible.

My bloodiest encounter so far in the shop has been with a Siler Golden Age flintlock. On acquiring it, I couldn't wait to try it out, so I put a wooden 'flint' in the jaws, cocked it, held it in my left hand in a thick cloth, and pushed up the sear with my right hand. With a little effort, it worked - but in the effort I'd forgotten to watch where my left thumb had moved to, and it wasn't entirely clear of the spur on the frizzen when it snapped back. Took a really good slice off. What an idiot.

Other than my brain as well; that is, inattention... :shake:

By far, the most dangerous tool is FIRE. BELIEVE ME! (some of you may recall me talking about my fire incident a year ago...fortunately, I still have the use of my hand, and the shop, along with the house, didn't blow up!)

The second most dangerous tool is a DULL tool!!! Dull knife or chisel...bad. You have to press harder and push and work more to get them to cut, and when they do cut, they're likely to jump out and stab you....I have a scar on my right hand where I was trying to push a dull chisel with my left and it popped out of the wood and got me.

Fatdutchman said:
Other than my brain as well; that is, inattention... :shake:

By far, the most dangerous tool is FIRE. BELIEVE ME! (some of you may recall me talking about my fire incident a year ago...fortunately, I still have the use of my hand, and the shop, along with the house, didn't blow up!)

The second most dangerous tool is a DULL tool!!! Dull knife or chisel...bad. You have to press harder and push and work more to get them to cut, and when they do cut, they're likely to jump out and stab you....I have a scar on my right hand where I was trying to push a dull chisel with my left and it popped out of the wood and got me.

I am just plain dangerous with ANY tool ( brains included :youcrazy: ) ... razor knives especially! And I have the multiude of scars to prove it! I simply cannot get around an auto without bangin or cutting something! :nono: BUT .. I do try to improve on my wounds and the way I get them! The last one was a really extra special nasty razor knife slice to the thumb! :cursing:

Davy

Not necessarily ML related, but I'd say a sawzall.

Ripped open knuckles cutting overhead pipe, scuffed palms changing blades, and stabbed myself 60-80 times (per second) in the thigh. Luckily, I was cutting kindorf (metal channel) at the time and the blade was so hot it preety much cauterized itself. Still got the black mark after 5 years. :haha:

Legion

CoyoteJoe,
I have injured myself in every way you describe, and them some, so I gotta say the most dangerous tool is the one I happen to have in my hand at any given time. :rotf:
J.D.

J.D. said:
CoyoteJoe,
I have injured myself in every way you describe, and them some, so I gotta say the most dangerous tool is the one I happen to have in my hand at any given time. :rotf:
J.D.

Well said! :grin: ANY tool that I get my hot little monkey paws instantly turns in to a lethal weapon, USUALLY aimed at myself! :cursing:

Davy

Mine has to be the nail gun, of all things. As much shooting as I've done you'd think that I'd know how to safely use anything with the word "gun" in it :shake:
I shot nails through my fingers on multiple occasions when trying to hold a piece of trim in just the right place.

And the only reason the nail guns is the most dangerous for me is b/c I decided using a hammer on a regular basis was too dangerous and needed something easier. Go figure :hmm:

A credit card with lots of room on it! :haha:

If I didn't have that I wouldn't have the other tools that bit me!

I have been bitten by a lot of sharp critters over the years, but the worst was a brand new stilson pipe wrench. I had always used old worn ones when helping my father, but being a young guy on my own, I bought a new one and did not know to respect those sharp new teeth. Bit me really good and I did not even know it until I saw a flood of blood. I wrapped the hand, finished the job and then hurt.

Looking at the scar 22 years later, I feel it all over again.

CS

Latest posts

Back