• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

mountain man books

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbjonesid

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Are there any fiction books/novels of the mountian man and trapping era that any of you would recomend?

The Carry the Wind series by Terry C Johnston is the best IMO. Its an incredible 9 book series that I plan on reading again soon. I'm just starting Backbone of the World by Edward Louis Henry. Not too far in yet but I'm enjoying it. There are 3 books out so far in this series with a 4th on the way. I was just about to start rereading the Carry the Wind series when I stumbled onto Henrys books. Both series have fictional main characters that interact with actual historical figures and events. Both are well researched by authors who have a love for that era.

over a 70 book series. David Thompson: Wilderness series :hatsoff:

Start with book #1: King of the mountain

Not a novel....and a great read. Try "The Last of the Mountain Men" by Harold Peterson. (Charles Scribner's Sons, NY, 1969). It's the story of a truly remarkable man, Sylvan Hart., and his life at Five Mile Bar on the River of No Return in Idaho.
Pete

Thanks Pete D. I have read "The Last of the Mountain Men". Another good one is "The Ridge Runner". Its about a hermit that lived in the Clearwater and St. Joe National Forrests in northern Idaho. My neck of the woods.

just finished Wolves Against the Moon, and loved it. Deals mostly with the Michigan/Indiana territory, but includes some Canada and New Orleans discussion. Its historical fiction, but as far as I can tell its extremely accurate as far as dates, locations, and people. Definately worth a read.

Across The Wide Missouri, by Bernard DeVoto is excellent. And this book isn't fiction, but as an incredibly well written history that reads like a novel, try Give Your Heart To The Hawks by Winfred Blivens.

I would also suggest,WAH TO YAH AND THE TOAS TRAIL by Lewis H Garrard.it is a true story about a young man leave's his home at age 17,and all of his adventures in the west.It an easy and informative read.. you can get it from Amazon..

In my opinion Terry C. Johnston, Win Belvins and Richard Wheeler are three writers that seem to know a ramrod from a touchhole.

"Fandango," or "Beneath A Hunter's Moon," both by Michael Zimmer.

"Fandango" is the story of a trapper's brigade leaving the Mexican settlements in the 1820s, trapping north toward the Great Salt Lake.

"Beneath A Hunter's Moon" is set in 1832, and follows a Metis buffalo hunt from the Red River Valley into what eventually becomes North Dakota.

Both are well researched, with lots of detail, and got good reviews. Richard Wheeler called "Fandango" one of the best mountain man novels ever written.

I read almost all of the books in wilderness series! and loved every one of them.

Another really old one that has a fun twist is Double Exposure
it's about a modern day couple that get thrown back in time, and are saved by a mountain man.

The Trask novels (Trask, Moontrap, and To Build a Ship) are pretty good. They were written by Don Berry, who also wrote A Majority of Scoundrels.

(Edited to correct a mistake: I'd included part of my notes in the title. . . )

Back