• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mounting scope on HOPKINS/ALLEN .36

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbowling

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody found a scope mount that will put the scope back over the reciever on the HOPKINS/ALLEN Heritage, getting ready to have one mounted on mine but not sure what mount to use, was told to use a weaver model 50 1 piece mounted in front of reciever but this looks like its going to put the scope too far forward. Is there any type of canti-lever mount available that will put it back over the reciever where it belongs. Thanks, Dean

Have you seen this photo at Blue Grouse!

stockntrigger.jpg

Seen it but I think its a custom job because the the barrel sits a good 1/8 in. below the reciever and never seen a one piece mount thats thicker on one end, be hard to get the height exactly right w/o doing a custom rework on it.Will have to e-mail Bruce at Bluegrouse and see what he says, he said a Weaver model #50 mount would work but have never seen one. Thanks for the pic....Dean

not sure about your question,You do want to mount it on the barrel in case you change barrels ect. Just playing with mine getting a few 1oo thru the barrel I used J B weld (epox) to put a off the shelf Wallmart set up that had 4 cuts for the rings, useing a BSA 3x12 waiting for a ?x24 to playwith ( i did run a velcro strip around it all in case.. but its held up to ballets,R.E.A.L.s in the 300grs range with no problems ,set like this its right down on the barrel you have to pull the back sight and you can move the scope to find whats best for you,and half my shots have been with 90 to 100 grs 3f. :front: :front:

I used a Weaver #63B, which is for Marlin lever guns. Mounted on the barrel with JB Weld. You're right, that does require a long tube scope with lots of latitude as to ring position. I used an old Weaver J4, 3/4" tube. The scope itself is long and so is the eye relief.
Wish they still made that scope or something similar. :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:
I think that if you mount on the receiver you will have a problem maintaining zero if the barrel is removed and replaced and perhaps even poor grouping since the barrel is not ridgidly attached. :imo:

Iam wanting to mount on the barrel but want the mount to extend back over the reciever so I wont have to use a extended eye relief scope or crane my neck to look through the scope.Going to use squirrel hunting and a long eye relief scope would be sort of a pain looking up in the treetops or at least all the pistols that I squirrel hunted with scopes on them were..Surely theres a canti-lever mount made that will work.Thanks for the ideas will keep them in mind...Dean

All the cantilever mounts I know of are made for round barrels. You may be able to adapt something with a bit of JB Weld to fill in the gaps, great stuff that JB.
As mounted on my old H&A the ocular is right at the rear of the reciever and I could slide it back in the rings another couple of inches if desired. That old J4 Weaver looks right-at-home on the H&A but that old scope has long been history. You can still find them at gunshows or in The Gun List, unfortunatly there are no comparable scopes being made today. What they now call "compact" scopes are just shorter and that is the last thing you need since they have no latitude at all as to ring position. :imo:

Purportedly Frederick the Great mentions it in his diary but I don't know French (I know he preferred French over German). During the American Revolution, militia lt. Charles Wilson Peale (the famous painter who had a liberty ship named after him) had a telescope equipped rifle made for him by David Rittenhouse. There's no documentation showing he ever used it in battle (officers waved swords or carried a pike most of the time). By 1810, an Englander invented the airtight riflescope.

Why scope a BP rifle? Why, to play Civil War sharpshooter of course. That and if you have failing eyes, its about the only way you may be able to see the target. :eek:

Maybe for the same reason we shoot from benchrest, to eliminate some of the variables and see what the rifle can really do. Maybe to pickoff prairie dogs I can't see without optics. Maybe for the same reason I wear corrective lenses. Maybe because we ain't all snobs. If I have to explain any of that you'll never get it. :: ::

I'm having an underhammer built and am having problems figuring out what to do about a scope. You can see the details in the thread I started in the builder's bench section entitled:
Jimbo's Underhammer

I would like to hunt with an action-mounted peep sight, but would also like the ability of target-shooting with a scope. My problem is that I don't want the see-through mounts because I think the high profile mounts spoil the sleek lines and I also don't like the idea of the front of the scope mount hanging over empty airspace above the barrel. I think the mount in the picture below looks like manure.

highprofile.jpg

I want mine to look more like this:

poorbambi.jpg

What I would like to do is mount the scope on the barrel just forward of the action and use quick release mounts whereby the scope could be removed and reattached without losing the zero.

I would also like to have the shortest eye relief possible. Aside from the long-barreled Weaver Scope mentioned above which is no longer being made, does anybody know of any other options?

Thanks,
Jimbo

Stick on one of them red dot sights or a halo sight. They are small and eye relief is not an issue. Were not talking PC here anyway.

I tryed this cheap 13" Tasco(cant find a # on it) and had to screw it forward,looking at Cabelas it must be golden antler or pronghorn (WHO NAMES THIS STUFF) 13.25 and 13 long. Why put a scope on a ML cause you can,my kids rolled 2 55 drums out back for me at 300 and 500 they put me in the wheelchair roll me out back on the porch( 8 foot high) and Im out of the way a few hours that must be why!what got me was that JBs held the 16" varmit( Id still say put velco strap around it in case) All of it worked fine on the H and A buggy.why shoot at 3and500 cause its FUN to lob them out that far. :front: :front:

,looking at Cabelas it must be golden antler or pronghorn (WHO NAMES THIS STUFF) 13.25 and 13 long.

The same folks who "name" the modern inlines!! :crackup: :crackup:

YMHS
rollingb

Hey thanks Ive wondered about that I hear they pay people to do that.but really my way even works from a wheelchair, but you could put a rib 1/8 by 3/8s(top of barrel wide ?)and 5" long at back of barrel then put on a regular rifle rail set back a few inchs it would still be close to the pic one. try my way see how close you get, or use cabelas cat and ck scope lenght.the only mount I found that worked was for 22s. :front: :front:

why shoot at 3and500 cause its FUN to lob them out that far. :front: :front:
Same reason I used to shoot silhouette handguns 500 meters.:thumbsup:

Back