• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Move hand or move finger?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinghewitt

62 Cal.
Reaction score
When you are shooting an old fashioned double gun with two triggers, after the right hand barrel do you bend your finger to the back trigger or slide your whole hand back down the wrist?

I move my hand back and the ball of my thumb usually rests on the comb making me wonder if I should be doing it another way.

Just curious what other folk do :grin:

Now I have to go out and shoot to find out. It happens so fast, I never looked into the events that take place. I think I just move my finger.

I think I have to move my hand, I've been sitting here trying just moving the finger and it feels really awkward :grin:

Me, too. It's quicker by far for me to just move my finger. But the way I hold the wrist, I don't have to bend my finger much--it just slides off the front trigger and naturally falls on the rear trigger.

I have a long hand, with fat fingers. I just don't have the room to be able to maneuver just my finger to trip both triggers. It would be possible, I think, if the stock had a finger grip stock, with an almost vertical wrist, handle to hold, or a thumbhole stock, but I can't do just the finger movement with my shotguns.

I am happy to know that some shooters can trip both triggers with one finger without shifting the hand.

Depends on the gun. My 12 ga Parker with pistol grip requires a little hand shifting. My Browning .410 superlight with a straight grip allows for just finger movement. Don't really think about either one, just kind of do what I need to do.

After THE INCEDENT in my youth where I used one finger on each of the triggers . . . and had the world's faster follow-up if not quite expected shot, I now move my hand. Usually taking the time to seperate the shots keeps you from speedily making the same mistake twice that caused you to NEED a second shot.

Squire Robin,
I believe that I always move my hand. Just seems easier. My CVA ML 12 gauge had plenty of room for each trigger. My Lefever does not.
volatpluvia

Stumpkiller said:
After THE INCEDENT in my youth where I used one finger on each of the triggers . . . and had the world's faster follow-up if not quite expected shot, I now move my hand. Usually taking the time to seperate the shots keeps you from speedily making the same mistake twice that caused you to NEED a second shot.

:rotf: I did that once... couldn't tell if I got that bird on the first or second shot... but I will say that it had a good deal of flak to fly through.

I thought I was the only one that did that. I bet nobody ever did it twice... by accident. :rotf:

If you fire the right with the tip of the finger it is easier to move the finger and still have some control. Moving the hand doesn't work for me if I am following the same target(s).
:v

Robin,

I have had good luck with shooting the rear trigger first . The recoil will move your hand slightly forward and position your finger for the second shot with the right barrel. This is especially true if you are using heavy loads.This was something I read ablut from Elmer Keiths shotgun book and it does seem to work. Also the left barrels seems to recoil into your shoulder allowing you to follow up faster with your second shot if needed.
Good luck.

Squire, A lot of the old shotguns and some of the new have either a straight grip or an elongated
pistol grip. Those were designed so that the hand
could slide back for the back trigger. It'so much
quicker and easier, just about any book on shotgunning will tell you the correct way is to slide your hand. Many shotgunners have questioned why some modern makers have put straight grips on single trigger shotguns when the purpose of that grip was for double triggered guns.

I was raised shooting double shotguns, mostly double trigger. My two gurus were really old at the time, and both had a lot of experience shooting trap and skeet before WWI and one even market hunted ducks and geese.

Later on I had the opportunity to do a whole bunch of double rifle shooting. An ancient friend had been a collector all his life, and I shot with him at least once a week.

All three of these guys had the same montra: "Rear trigger first." The shotgunners did it so you didn't have to shift your hand at all and upset your aim on fast doubles. The double rifle shooter did it so there was no chance that your finger could slip off in recoil and hit the second trigger.

Works for me on all my doubles, too.

One of the shotgunners had smaller hands, and he built up the pistol grips on his guns or added a knob on the wrist of straight stocked guns to position his hand naturally so that he could reach both triggers from the same hand position. The other two (and me) had big hands, so reaching both triggers without shifting our hands was no prob.

Squire Robin said:
When you are shooting an old fashioned double gun with two triggers, after the right hand barrel do you bend your finger to the back trigger or slide your whole hand back down the wrist?

I move my hand back and the ball of my thumb usually rests on the comb making me wonder if I should be doing it another way.

Just curious what other folk do :grin:

I have not shoy a double gun for years so I went into the closet and pulled oput one of the old ones and I gotta go with Brown bear it is very natural to hit the rear trigger than easily move the finger up to the front trigger, this came natural what I shoulderd the gun just now and a foggy memory seems to recall useing the left barrel first, it seems like that old gun I used to use had a tighter choke on the right barrel for a second further shot, but this was over 30 years ago and the gun it now gone, what is "standard" for the two bores in regards to different chokes.

My Winchester (and every double I've ever used) had the tightest choke in the left barrel. They were meant to have the right or more open choked barrel fired first so that the gamebird wasn't shredded by a tighter shot column. The left barrel could used for longer shots and making up for a miss with the first shot. Or so I was taught and it always made sense to me.

Have owned a number of doubles over the years. ALL had the tighter choke in the left barrell. Good smoke, Ron in FL

"After THE INCEDENT in my youth where I used one finger on each of the triggers . . . and had the world's faster follow-up if not quite expected shot, I now move my hand."

I did the same thing with a drilling and set off all 3 barrels at a quail, on an overhead passing shot with the gun near vertical !! the quail nearly died laughing but was otherwise unharmed, unlike me.

Latest posts

Back