• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Move hand or move finger?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tg,
My Lefever is choked full on the left and modified on the right.
My CVA was cylinder on both sides, so it didn't matter. However, all my dad's old doubles, the ones I learned on were tighty lefty and loosey righty. So it never occured to me to shoot anything but the right first. Old habits.
But I have never doubled, so, again, it didn't matter.
volatpluvia

ronrryan said:
Have owned a number of doubles over the years. ALL had the tighter choke in the left barrell. Good smoke, Ron in FL

SxS's intended for "rough" shooting like we do in the states will be set up this way. Bird flushes close and flies away from shooter., fire open right barrel, then the tighter left barrel if needed.

Shotguns set up for driven bird shoots would be set up for the right barrel to be tighter since the first shot is at an incoming bird and would be taken further out. Second shot, if needed would be as the bird got closer.

If you've got the money, you can get 'em set up any way you want.

ronrryan said:
Have owned a number of doubles over the years. ALL had the tighter choke in the left barrell. Good smoke, Ron in FL

Yup, and that's why I got so well acquainted with Briley for choke reaming before the advent of choke tubes. Moving back and forth between double rifles and double trigger shotguns, it was well worth the relatively small cost of reaming and polishing the left barrel. Same for my long departed mentors.

I was taught that use rear first . some old guns have simple triggers and can be reversed to fire open choke bore first with rear trigger. just make sure both locks function as before, stay on 1/2 cock and full cock . should have 4-5 lb. pull.
just my two bits worth.

Shooters vary on whether they move the finger or hand. Some switch be it a straight grip or a pistol or semi-pistol grip. I dont move my hand. Most I know move only their finger.

General construction of a SxS intends for the right barrel (front trigger) to be shot first. If it is for driven then the right barrel is usually tighter than the left but they are few in the United State. For rough shooting, the right barrel (front trigger) is choked less than the left. This is what you mostly see in the US.

Some fine custom doubles come as "left handed" guns where the left trigger is designed to be shot first and has cast-on.

I cant see a trap shooter who shoots nothing but going away targets pulling the left trigger first unless he were using a gun designed for driven shooting.

I am probably wrong about the chokes, they may have been the same or as most have mentioned I do think that the gun did not have a full choke and both were sonewhat open.improved/modifed I really don't remember it was an old gun when I used it in the mid to late 60's it had exposed hammers and I used low base game loads due to the age of the gun from advise from gramps and Dad, I do not even recall what make it was, I think it was very plain with little checkering or decoration probably a dime a dozen type domestic gun from the 20's or 30's

Latest posts

Back