• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mowery rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there enough interest out there for someone to start making a complete Mowery rifle again? Calibers .40 thru .58 & shotgun gauges 28 thru 12. Thanks.

If someone decided to make them again, I would probably like one in the 36 or 40 cal persusaion.
I never shot one but I seem to remember the "buggy gun" and it appealed to me
Cheers dbj

The Mowrey Rifle is a fine design, ageless in style, and would certainly be well appreciated if produced again.
I don't know if a producer can make much money in these rifles as the buying public of muzzleloaders is not that great. Although Pedersolli, and Uberti have done OK??
I have two Mowrey rifles, LOVE them.
Best Regards
Old Ford

Ya it's to bad that Deer Creek is just sitting on the stuff to make them and a ton of parts but no frames. Fred :hatsoff:

Would depend on two (2) things:

1.Stock would have need to have as much figure
as they did before.
2.The Cost.

My interest would be in the 36 or 40 cal. area.

RDE

I'd be interested in a .54, either iron or brass. Always wanted one, but kept putting it off until it was too late :cursing:

MY32MOWREY-1.jpg

.32 cal....and I have a .50 Georgia tree gun
with a 22" barrel. Both are Fine shooters...
I would be interested in a .54 for my Next one!
or a .58 like this one!
mowrey58cal.jpg

or this
DREAMMUZZLELOADER45.jpg

Projected price would be $550-600 range depending on steel or brass frame.

scalper said:
also its spelled Mowrey
not Mowery.
just in case someone is using the spelling
in a search bar. :thumbsup:
I believe the first "Mowreys" were made in Olney, Texas. Aren't the Deer Creek guns labeled "Mowry"?

talon,

Price is a touch higher than I would really like to pay, but in all honesty, I am not doing the work nor fronting the money to start an endeavour either.

Whom would the barrel maker be? Sights?

I would lean towards steel versus brass and I am more of a fan of smaller calibers versus large calibers.

Thanks

RDE

I know I'd be interested. Like Canerod I've contemplated one for a number of years but just never got around to it, & now they're getting harder to find. When I was living in Australia in the early '90s I imported a brass-framed .58 for a customer & it was a good looking/shooting rifle.
I think at this point I'd be more interested in a shotgun version, most likely a 12g with the steel frame. Any thoughts of producing the rifles with a faster twist barrel? I've been tempted to buy a used Mowrey & turn it into a Schuetzen-style rifle, & I think with a .38 barrel & a 1:14" twist it would be the bee's knees!

I found an old add in a MuzzleBlast magazine from when the Indiana outfit was making the rifles. Their prices started at $479.00 10-12 years ago. I can get any standard barrel caliber or gauge I want from a local maker in short order.

Shotgun models are rarer than Hens TEETH.
You had better JUMP on it without a thought iff ya ever see one fer SALE. I look EVERYWHERE for em and have only found one in the past 8 years...
Very RARE.

Richard Eames said:
Whom would the barrel maker be? Sights?

If someone starts making this gun again, one company to consider for the barrel is Ardessa of Spain. They made the barrels for the now defunct Austin & Hallecks. While the A&H guns had a few known problems (mostly caused by bad stocks made for them by Boyds, or occasionally a bad lock made by North American Arms), the barrel was not one of them. Their barrels were superb. Flawless match grade bores with no machining marks (they are drawn over mandrel, not machined) and so smooth and shiny that they'd rival the best hand lapped bores. They were definately higher grade than the ones they use on their Traditions branded guns. I own several of each and there's no comparison when it comes to accuracy and bore condition.

Considering the A&H guns weren't all that pricey compared to what you got, the barrels had to be pretty economical for them to buy.

Nice guns I wish I had kept my .50 just cause they atre getting hard to find, but I don't know if another traditional gun over $300-400 would find a market to support it, if this was a small part time family type venture that did not depend on it to buy the beans but make a bit on the side it might work, anybody else put a shim under the main spring so as not to wear thru the housing?

I always wondered if this was an actual copy of an old rifle. Well, it looks like one has finally surfaced. I have looked at auction sites for years & have never seen anything that was very close to the Mowery gun - this one is called an Allen & Thurber-Worcester, it is on gunbroker under item 96249362.
Just thought those of you who admire this weapon would appreciate seeing the real thing. Regards, Mike

Latest posts

Back