• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mowrey rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My circa 1972 Black Powder Digest lists a Mowrey Hawkin with sidelock as available, so they did make more than the steel actions.

There were some with brass action housings and no forearm to speak of and some with wood forearms,a shotgun,lots of history on the originals, the next issue of that magazine circa 1977 has a good article on the Mowery guns and is available thru Amazon and such places usually for less than ten bucks and has a lot of good articles and is well worth the money, it was printed back in the day before the modern ML craze took hold and reflects a different general attitude toward the sport in general mostly production stuff but still good reading and lots of the current guns available shown in the back...kits for 59 bucks life was good, three Beers for a dollar, two bucks or so a lb for powder, your issue is also a good one I think they made three issues that I know of, the last was in the early '80's there may have been more but if so I missed them. the '80's issue is also well worth the price.

I've got a .54 mowrey I got new from Deer Creek several years ago.It's got 1 in 66" twist shoots great I've taken a lot of game with it, I picked up several springs from deer creek a few years back for spares, I'll bet you can still get parts from them.

Elmer, sorry for the slow reply, my pc died and I couldnt look at photos at work...

I'm pretty sure thats Bill's plains rifle he built/sold. Last night I met with Ken, Bill's old good friend much more aquainted with his work than me. Ken is certain that Bill marked his personal work with his name and no location, the weapons made with a location came later when he had sold the patents (or however that is done). Ken also told me that Bill numbered the weapons he made and anything after serial number 166 wouldn't have been made by Bill personally.
Thats a sharp looking rifle, I'm looking at a similar one myself, but really want one in left hand.

Eterry

These are pics of mine circa 1983 or so. It's signed, #009, .54 and a star imprint designating Montana Barrel Company. The lock is L&R, very robust rifle.
greenjack365
[/URL][/img]
greenjack365
[/URL][/img]
greenjack365
[/URL][/img]
greenjack365
[/URL][/img]

I almost hate to say this, I had 2 of them in my shop both where 36's, They had the roughest bores of any production gun I have seen. I had to rebarrel both of them. Other than that they where just fine, So you might want to check the bore real close. I also have a Mowery barrel in the white its either 50 or 54 and its nice and shinny.

Bob

Back