• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Musket cap overkill?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stone knife

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Would it be overkill to put a nipple that excepts a musket cap on my TC tree hawk? Or would a hotshot be good enough.

Does your rifle shoot OK now?
If it doesn't, I would look to other possible problems first.
IMHO, yes, the musket cap is unnecessary for regular rifles.

Edit: is the Tree Hawk a rifle or smoothie?

12 ga. smooth, don't have any ffg for it yet forced to use Pyrodex for now had an issue with it yesterday after going thru all the procedures to make sure it was oil free, just kinda ticked me off. I'm going to pick up a hotshot nipple pretty sure they have a musket nipple and caps that would work on it there too.

Stone Knife said:
12 ga. smooth, don't have any ffg for it yet forced to use Pyrodex for now had an issue with it yesterday after going thru all the procedures to make sure it was oil free, just kinda ticked me off. I'm going to pick up a hotshot nipple pretty sure they have a musket nipple and caps that would work on it there too.

I dinked around with it a fair bit, and agree that Pyrodex can need help. In comparing musket caps with hotshot nipples and #10 caps, I couldn't find a single difference between them in my guns. And I'm talking regular #10's and not magnums.

I use #10's with Pyro because they are about half the price around here and lots easier to find. But I saved those musket nipples in case the day comes I run out of #10's and musket caps are all I can find.

Makes no nevermind to me which I use, or what you use, but the #10's might be easier to find and cheaper. If your gun is like mine, it won't know the difference.

Musket caps may enhance iginition on that TC. I believe the flash channel makes (2) right angle turns. I ran into some RWS musket caps for $3/100, so I bought all 5 boxes that were available. :thumbsup: I would suggest you try ffg BLACKPOWDER. My New Englander 12ga has never misfired with ffg BP, hotshot nipple, and magnum #11 caps.

My Enfield did not like going off with Pyro with musket caps!

That is untill I drilled the nipple to.040", the same as I have any nipple for using Pyro and guess what, it still works fine on BP too :thumbsup:

I have lost count how many times I have recited this here :shake:

Brits.

I did notice the hole was a little smaller on the musket cap nipple, I did put one on to try. Ifin I don't like it I bought a new #11 hotshot nipple too :grin: I'm gonna go in on some ffg got plenty of fffg.

I use the musket caps on my double for ease of on/off in hunting conditions.
Think cold weather here! :hmm:
Follow the advice the others here have offered..
Nothing beats first hand trial and error!..Amen! :thumbsup:

You can pretty much do what you want as you probably are not trying for any type of historical accuracy with that particular rig so it does likley not matter

tg said:
You can pretty much do what you want as you probably are not trying for any type of historical accuracy with that particular rig so it does likley not matter
Exactly, just playing around with this till i can swing .62 TVM Fowler.

Try the "Magnum" caps before you switch out to a musket nipple and cap. Usually the magnum caps will resolve the minor pyrodex issues.

Ghettogun said:
Try the "Magnum" caps before you switch out to a musket nipple and cap. Usually the magnum caps will resolve the minor pyrodex issues.
I had magnum caps when the trouble happened, but I still think it was my fault. I'm hoping I get some shooting in tomorrow while bunny hunting :thumbsup:

I never found a need for a musket cap. If I had problems getting Black Powder to light off, it was my fault and even a musket cap wouldn't help that. Many people are prone to swabbing a bore and getting scrunge in the flash channel.Ask me how I know :redface: . A musket cap won't help that or help if you got oil in there. Some will have trouble if they snap a cap and the inside stuff in the cap will foul the flash channel.Only an opinion, but snapping a cap maybe a good idea if you could somehow place some resistance on the bore like a cleaning patch or something that you are sure to retrieve. That way any back pressure would surely blow back through the nipple and blow out the stuff that snapping a cap can leave in a nipple. JMHO I have never used Pyrodex. Since I can order BP and I also go to Friendship I have no reason to ever use anything but BP either. Never drilled out a percussion cap either. I can tell when mine get wore though as they will send the hammer to 1/2 cock.Good luck

I put a musket nipple in my .50 when I was using Pyrodex and left it in after switching to black powder only with no problems. Plus they are easier to hold on to during cold weather. Dan.

I stored the gun barrel down and before i loaded it I swabbed the barrel out good with brake cleaner and fired off a couple caps. The only thing I didn't do was remove the nipple clean that and clean out the channel with a pipe cleaner, that is were the problem may have been. I am going to get some ffg BP but I have the other garbage left so I want to use it up first, waste not want not. I have a musket cap nipple on it now and do like the lager caps for ease of handling so I'll give them a whirl. If they don't work out I did get a hotshot nipple for #11 caps.

Stone Knife said:
I stored the gun barrel down and before i loaded it I swabbed the barrel out good with brake cleaner and fired off a couple caps. The only thing I didn't do was remove the nipple clean that and clean out the channel with a pipe cleaner, that is were the problem may have been. I am going to get some ffg BP but I have the other garbage left so I want to use it up first, waste not want not. I have a musket cap nipple on it now and do like the lager caps for ease of handling so I'll give them a whirl. If they don't work out I did get a hotshot nipple for #11 caps.
I always always insert the cleaning rod and patched jag in the barrel all the way down and then bust a cap or two before setting off on a hunt. Removing the patch will show burn and all if any residue is caught from the blast. Back pressure does keep the nipple clear too in the process. Doing this never fails.

B :thumbsup:

tg said:

Agree. I once had an original CW musket. I removed the original nipple and replaced with one that accepted standard caps. Worked just fine. This, of course, was using only real bp.

It did the same thing today at the end of the hunt no shots at game. I tried to fire it off and no boom even after 3 tries, kinda ticked me off. When I got home i pulled the nipple and put a little ffffg down her, it went off then. I'm done with pyrodex the stuff is junk. This particular can has been around for at least 10 years or more and I'm wondering if it is bad. I reloaded a couple times with some shockey Gold I had and that worked fine, it will have to get me by till I get some ffg BP after I get that I'm dumping all the other stuff out.

Back