• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Musket cap overkill?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Britsmoothy said:
My Enfield did not like going off with Pyro with musket caps!

That is untill I drilled the nipple to.040", the same as I have any nipple for using Pyro and guess what, it still works fine on BP too :thumbsup:

I have lost count how many times I have recited this here :shake:

Brits.

Been using Pyro all my M/L shooting life, thats why I wrote the above, I don't give up!
Modern nipples have tiny tiny holes compared to the originals I have seen over here!

B.

I drill all my nipples ( # 11 and Musket ) out with an 1/16" drill before I install them. All I shoot is Pyrodex and this has cured all the hang fire problems. Once in a while, it will blow the hammer back to half cock.

I also use musket caps just for the ease in handling in the cold weather.

George

Krag35 said:
I drill all my nipples ( # 11 and Musket ) out with an 1/16" drill before I install them. All I shoot is Pyrodex and this has cured all the hang fire problems. Once in a while, it will blow the hammer back to half cock.
1/16" is quite large friend, thats why the hammer is blowing bac. Watch out for flying debri!

.040" or if you like 1mm is all that is needed. You drilled yours to .062"!

B.

Back