• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Musket Caps Vs. #11 Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dchawken

32 Cal.
Reaction score
On another topic, a shooter with cap problems was advised to try swapping out his #11 nipple for a musket cap nipple.

---From Landandgroove-----

T/C makes a replacement musketcap nipple for its percussion muzzleloaders. I have replaced the standard #11 nipple with this on several of my T/C percussion sidelocks, and they work great. If you use the "top hat" type musket cap, they are easy to fish out of your pocket, due to thier size and the tabs on them, if you need a fast reload. They also produce a much hotter ignition, than a #11. The hammers on the T/C percussion locks, will accomodate the musket cap nipple. An easy swap.

---------

This makes sense to me. I'd been thinking of making the same swap on one of my guns that has a tendency to misfire. I think everyone has had a cap go off without firing the gun. The question is, since Musket Caps pack so much more punch, why are #11 caps the standard?

Any thoughts are welcome.

Lots of guns don't have room for the bigger cones and caps. and on smaller pistols the larger cones would look out of proportion anyway. The old gun makers were nothing if not esthetically aware. For example, think of a fine English pistol with a big old musket cone sticking out of it. Or try fitting these large items to a percussion revolver. That said, where possible I prefer the bigger caps
for their greater ignition properties and ease of handling.

Something else which some who have switched over to a musket cap report is that the hammer on their rifles will come back to half cock at times or further because of the added pressure caused by the larger ignition of the musket cap. Whether this does damage to the hammer springs I am not sure.

I never had a problem with any of my sidelocks going off even with the lesser #11 caps. I think a well maintained rifle designed for the #11 cap is all that it should need. I understand some of the early military style rifles benifited from the musket nipples. I just have a problem changing the way a rifle was meant to function.

Musket caps are a great alternative on inline rifles for those that want the hotter ignition for the charges they carry. Also the musket caps are helpful in the reduction of breech crud rings when certain powders are used.

I bought one of those musket nipples for my Thompson Center sidelocks. I just have not seen the need to switch over...

Good luck to those that want to do that..

I've only converted a couple or three rifles and a pair of doubles over the years and I've never had the hammers come back on me. This is usually a sign of a weak main spring and heavy charges blowing back through the larger channel. It usually is necessary to modify the hammer face to accomodate the larger cap and a couple of times I had to go to a flat face and use a flash cup to control possible cap debris, although musket caps are pretty tough and I can't recall one ever coming apart on me.

Quote.."If you use the "top hat" type musket cap, they are easy to fish out of your pocket, due to thier size and the tabs on them, if you need a fast reload."

For what it's worth, a capper is available for those musket caps. Looks like the #11 capper, only bigger.

I do think that's one of the reasons they were used in the military, though, less fumbling with the smaller caps. :m2c:

They are easier to handle, but I gave up on 'em for throwin' stingin' bits forward and attackin' the wrist of my right hand. I'm left handed and don't have a left side lock. A good pair of gloves helped, but one of the dogs found them. :cry:

Quote.."If you use the "top hat" type musket cap, they are easy to fish out of your pocket, due to thier size and the tabs on them, if you need a fast reload."

For what it's worth, a capper is available for those musket caps. Looks like the #11 capper, only bigger.

I do think that's one of the reasons they were used in the military, though, less fumbling with the smaller caps. :m2c:

As someone who has a gun that uses musket caps, I'll say that yes, they are easier to dig out of a pocket...they also lacerate your fingers badly! Cappers are the way to go for sure.

Musket caps are also much more expensive--another good reason to stick to #11.

If you are having a hard time getting #11's to work, it's a problem with the gun (usually cleaning procedure problem, actually), and not the caps. As a side note, if the hammer is bouncing back, it's a problem with the nipple, not the size of the cap. Actually, it's a serious problem, and your nipple needs replacing. At least, that's been my experience and my understanding of the situation...

My advise...use 3Fg and a sharp 3/4" rock... :blah:

:imo: :results:

I had a #11 nipple on one of my muskets for a while...big old musket hammer really pounded the snot out of it, so I went back to the musket nipple and it's more better. Guess what works best is what the rifle is designed around. Musket nipples for muskets and #11's for sporting rifles.

And then there's musket ROCKS...1" BABY!! OOOOOOOORAH!

RAT

I have one of those musket conversion nipples for my t.c. renegade 58 cal. I chronographed both, the no. 11 and the musket cap. While I'm sure the musket cap gives a bigger flame and probably more even combustion, I only got 9 f.p.s. faster with it with the same powder charge. They are more convenient to fish out of your pocket.

On another topic, a shooter with cap problems was advised to try swapping out his #11 nipple for a musket cap nipple.

I think you're talking about me. What I have learned since is I didn't have No. 11 caps - I had No. 10 caps (which are too small for the nipple on my T/C New Englander). I had dumped the No. 10's into my old No. 11 tin, so I really threw the helpful gang here off the right trail when I posted incorrectly, saying I was having trouble with No. 11's. Now that I'm a cap "expert" (haahaa!) I know my problems were all due to that. I bought the proper caps (Remingtons, in this case) and went back to the range. I've had flawless ignition since, with a very fast action time between cap and main charge (90gr. FFg). If you are having trouble with No. 11 caps, I would suspect another gremlin is at work.

I've never fired a musket cap, but now that I've learned one cap from another, I have complete confidence in the No. 11's.

Baron

I have had two percussion rifles that I had trouble with misfiring. I thought it was the primers first, but changing primers didn't help much. I began to wonder if it was just the rifle, but then I changed to real BP and I haven't had another misfire since. Listen to the other members of this board, they know what they're talking about. Real BP might be a little more expensive and take a few more minutes to clean, but it sure is less frustrating to shoot.

Thanks for the info everyone. I hope my problems aren't cleaning related, it seems I spend enough time on that as it is.

I've been dying to buy some real BP, but I haven't found a local shop that sells it. I'm hoping to pick up some at the NMLRA Sring Shoot in June.

Maybe I'll try converting one of the guns to musket caps just for an experiment.

Thanks again.

Ban civilian ownership and use of deadly assault musket caps. They are designed for only one thing: to help kill peepul. :relax:

If you do the experiment, post the results.

Dynamit Nobel makes a "wingless" musketcap in addition to the "tophat" style. The wingless, just looks like a large, and I mean large, # 11 cap! I have also used these on my T/C percussions, with good results. They also fit/work, with the T/C musketcap nipple.

Landngroove, thanks for chiming in. I should have PM'd you since I was quoting you in the subject. I apologize.

And thanks for the tip as well.

Back