• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

muslin as patch?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve hill

36 Cal.
Reaction score
anybody ever use this stuff my groups are still
good and I can start ball with my thumb
I've only used it at 50 yds but thats about as far as I would shoot anyway.

I have been using muslin in my new .54 cal rifle with a GM barrel. I get great results also even though my patches are totally destroyed. They are .008 to .010 in thickness and well lubed with moose snot. I am shooting a .530 rb and 80grs of 3f. I really like the ease in loading, no need for a short starter.

I use it to clean with but Pillow ticking works great in my Rice barrel. I find that muslin is too thin for my set up.
Regards

I tried it. Too thin. Even double patched they blew apart.
Ticking or drill cloth is what I use.

HD

I am guessing it is because the material is as thin, or thinner than the rifling is deep on must muzzleloaders, so the lands would cut through easier...

Wonder how muslin would fare in a smoothbore... :hmm:

I have been using Muslin in my smoothbore with good success. The patches are a little burned, but not bad. I like being able to thumb start the ball. I find pillow ticking is simply too thick. I almost went to a smaller ball but like to use paper cartriges, and the .600 ball works perfect for those.
I have not tried it in my rifle, I find pillow ticking or leather patches work well in it. Matt

Well i use a real thin muslin patch material that i bought here a while back.Its a .010 that compresses down to .006.Loads easyer than the muslin i had before but wont take much of a load to blow the patch.I tried doubling it by putting one on the powder and one around the ball which worked with moderate loads but i aint much for moderate loads.The last time i was out shooten,which has been a spell i used some walmart ticklen on the powder and the thin muslin around the ball.100gr of 3f in a 50 and 50gr of 3f in a 36.Worked pretty slick and loaded easy.Im not sure if it shot any better than just using a ticklen patch by its self cause i was only shooten 25 yards but it didnt do no worse either.Have to do some more experymenten on this combo sometime.Werent no holes in any of the patches anyways.

Back