• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Must be nice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antelope Pete

40 Cal
Reaction score
I watch these You Tube videos that feature muzzleloaders and they are almost always back east where the shooting conditions seem so nice. Nice meaning little to no wind and/or mirage and they are casually taking their time to shoot and enjoying a relaxing time instead of rushing to try and shoot while the conditions are decent or at least similar from one shot to the next.
Meanwhile here on the western high plains the winds are always blowing and if not hard then it's constantly changing directions. Then there is the mirage and lot's of it. This morning I went out and got one shot in and then the mirage set in with a head wind and the next shot was 7 inches high at 100 yds. I packed it in and quit.......again.
I'm having trouble working up a hunting load for my new rifle and the conditions almost make it impossible. I've dealt with it for decades but sometimes it really sucks.
Shooting back east sure looks nice.

My flintlock is named Chinook for a reason. If I waited for a day with no wind I’d never shoot.
Oh I'm not talking about a day with no wind because that doesn't happen here. Actually the light breeze days can be some of the worst because it never stays in a constant direction and the mirage shifts with it too. Like I said in my post I've dealt with it for decades. And I'm not talking about just shooting for fun. I'm talking about trying to find a good load. It doesn't do much good to compare loads shooting under bad conditions.
Ya, if you're going to use it for hunting you have to learn to use it in whatever weather conditions there are that day.
I realize that but load development is another thing. I've hunted this area since the mid 1970's. I must say though that I think this hot, dry, droughty windy weather is getting worse now.

My main point is that compared to the western plains the eastern shooters have it a lot easier it seems. That's all.

Last edited:

My main point is that compared to the western plains the eastern shooters have it a lot easier it seems. That's all.
When it comes to freedom to exercise one's Second Amendment rights shooters on the western plains (your state of Colorado being an egregious exception due to those libtards in Boulder) have it a lot easier. So I'd rather be out there, and deal with the weather, rather than deal with the anti-gunners, who are getting pretty close to encroaching on Wisconsin. I wish I could move to Wyoming.

I watch these You Tube videos that feature muzzleloaders and they are almost always back east where the shooting conditions seem so nice. Nice meaning little to no wind and/or mirage and they are casually taking their time to shoot and enjoying a relaxing time instead of rushing to try and shoot while the conditions are decent or at least similar from one shot to the next.
Meanwhile here on the western high plains the winds are always blowing and if not hard then it's constantly changing directions. Then there is the mirage and lot's of it. This morning I went out and got one shot in and then the mirage set in with a head wind and the next shot was 7 inches high at 100 yds. I packed it in and quit.......again.
I'm having trouble working up a hunting load for my new rifle and the conditions almost make it impossible. I've dealt with it for decades but sometimes it really sucks.
The grass is Always greener on the other side.

I have spend goodly amounts of time in South East, Texas, and up to Montana: 'weather is Everywhere'

Shooting I. Upper 80s with 80% humidity for me is Horrible.
Montana the weather often only leaves short windows of 'nice', I was once told by a local "If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes".

I was once offered to move to Illinois for a job (and raise), but having been there in winter and summer (as was the other places) I said "No Thank You!".

'Nice' was Southern California BUT so limited on where you can shoot (and no 'No Lead').

Now I am in the High Sierras; Wind, Heat, and short spurts of Old.
Right now we just canceled this month's club shoot due to 100 degree heat (and California's smoke is creeping over the hills...again).

We all have Weather issues: Wind, Humidity, Heat, Cold.

I would love some place, with trees, a cool stream, SHADE, calm winds, pleasant tems no higher then 71 and no lower then 62....but I just don't know where that would be?

I recall a song;
"You can't alway get what you want, but if you try some times you can get what you need"

Btw; I have made some decent videos shooting tea cups, pumpkins, and water bottles filled with frozen colored water.
Sometimes I am out from 9am to 4pm (wife calls and asks I will be home for dinner) and sometimes only from 11am to 2pm due to weather...and a couple times like you, I only got a shot or two off and that darn wind blew up...it happens.

Out on the eastern plains of Colorado, wind, extreme heat is an every day thing for us.

This Sunday it's calling for 104 degrees.

As for wind... shoot in it! You have to be ready for every condition possible during a hunt or even a shoot. Learn how you and your equipment perform under all conditions.

Yeah, it's a real problem and this spring and so far this summer has been especially bad. Seems like when I have opportunity to hit the range it's blowing. Having some luck by arriving just before sunrise but even that doesn't always work.
Ya, if you're going to use it for hunting you have to learn to use it in whatever weather conditions there are that day.
That's true but your load selection and sight in best be done in dead calm then you can work with the wind from that baseline.
. I wish I could move to Wyoming.
Ooooooh, thats where most of our wind comes from! 🤣 In Wyoming they like to say it's so windy cause Colorado sucks. Of course when texans complain about our Colorado wind guess what we tell em. :)

longcruise
Good summary of what I'm talking about. To compare loads and get sights set requires fairly calm conditions with minimal mirage. After that then go out and shoot in the wind etc. to know what happens .
You're right this year is bad for wind and mirage. Also on our place I don't usually shoot until 9:00 as a consideration to the neighbors.

I would love some place, with trees, a cool stream, SHADE, calm winds, pleasant tems no higher then 71 and no lower then 62....but I just don't know where that would be?

A friend told me that it’s always 72F in Hawaii. But I’ll still stay in the Rockies.

..... Of course when texans complain about our Colorado wind guess what we tell em. :)
I did my flight training in Greeley. One day while my instructor and I were out in the practice area, a 70 mph chinook wind came up. It was straight down Greeley's east-west runway. But a Cessna 150 touches down at about 50. So that was interesting. Usually there's not that much wind in Colorado. But when it pipes up it's unpredictable and pretty intense.

leaving for our monthly shoot in a little while. weather tomorrow predicted 90 - 95 degrees thats not the problem we're in the woods and have covered benches the biggest concern is the mosquitoes their the size of a b-25 and after 20 inches of rain the last month or so they are bad. bringing the fogger with

I won several 1000 yard long range matches shooting at Fort Wolters Texas; sling matches shooting iron and scope sights. The wind comes out of the ground there at daylight, runs all over Texas and goes back in the ground there at dark thirty. If ya can't read wind....best stay at the house!! Real shame they stopped having matches there!

Southeastern Pa. As of the last two weeks have been Humid with really high temps, BP fowling turns exceedingly gummy and sticky you no sooner step outside and your face starts to bead up with sweat and at the club when it’s like this it turns really Buggie and it’s murder getting chewed up and soaked…Really great summer so far, (NOT) 😓

Back