• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader Only Hunts?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can anyone tell me if there is anyone out there that caters to blackpowder only? I am trying to find a fair chase Elk hunt, Buffalo, Caribou will be hard, but I know of one, Whitetail, and the list goes on. No fences!! Even if it were just bow and blackpowder would be fine. I just do not like being in camp with rifle hunters, nothing against them, just want to be amungst others of the same values and love of the sport.
Thanks.
Aim Small, Miss Small...

Here is a buf hunt I know personally. They mostly book CF hunters, but they book only one party at a time. Sitka blacktail deer, too. Over 20,000 acres and not a fence in sight. How do you feel about long days on horses? :grin:

Brownbear, I appreciate the information. I will look into them and give them a call, maybe I can set something up with them.

Thanks

Great folks, and you'll enjoy them. If you decide to make the hunt, PM me and I can help you figure out arrangements for shooting supplies.

I finally looked at their site and one point is worth raising:

The buf are free ranging (and the old bulls are wilder than most deer you meet), but the elk (Rockies) are penned. The elk pen is about 120 acres with brush and cover, but it's still fenced.

Long as I'm yakking, the Sitka blacktail tend to hold high, especially the good bucks, but the ranch is basically down at sea level. You'll be proud of the horse between your knees.

Buf would be great as long as they are free range, I will not hunt Elk in a pen.
Thank you for the information.

Co has a muzzleloader season for elk here in Sept.
It's a great time of year and if you are willing to work hard you should get an elk.

Greenmtnboy,
Is CO. on a draw? How does the licence work there? I know you are a resident and that is different. Are Bull Elk tags over the counter? As far as the ares to hunt, are there different zones that allow bulls/cows? Public hunting? Do you guide?
Sorry for all the questions.
Thank you for your replies.

Yes, Colorado ML season is no sabots, pellets, and scope. I wish it was only sidelocks too.

Maybe even flintlock too like Pennsylvania. :thumbsup:

Is CO. based on a points system, or first come first serve? The draw when can you start to apply?

Thanks

It does use the points system. You can apply in April.

There was a lot of licences left over this year. There still is, but of course not in the best areas.

Economy is affecting everything.

Custom Smokepole said:
Buf would be great as long as they are free range, I will not hunt Elk in a pen.
Thank you for the information.

I agree completely. In fact, I was surprised to see that he offers "hunts" on elk. I doubt he believes it's hunting either, but bills have to be paid.

I can speak up for the buf hunts, having been asked to help extract a couple of downed bulls and getting the chance to chat with the hunters. It's the real deal, and then some. Same for the blacktail deer hunts.

Is CO. based on a points system, or first come first serve? The draw when can you start to apply?

There are over the counter tags for the regular rifle seasons. You can hunt with your ml in any rifle or ml season in CO. I prefer ML season but the first rifle elk only (opens this weekend the 16th) is my second most favorite. It is a draw only for this first one, but there are tags left over even as I type. Many of them are "additional" tags meaning that you can purchase them as a second tag.

Lucky thing, my ML season this year was cut short by family doings and business. :( Have a cow tag for this sat and will go forth with the ml in hopes of making meat.

But, did get to enjoy this several mornings;

IMG_1291.jpg

For this trip, it will be the south east corner of North Park. Tag includes four units. Take off at about noon tomorrow. We'll have about nine of us in camp but only six hunters. It's a modern rifle season so I'll be the only one in camp with a front stuffer.

marmotslayer said:
For this trip, it will be the south east corner of North Park. Tag includes four units. Take off at about noon tomorrow. We'll have about nine of us in camp but only six hunters. It's a modern rifle season so I'll be the only one in camp with a front stuffer.

Good luck buddy!

Custom Smokepole said:
Greenmtnboy,
Is CO. on a draw? How does the licence work there? I know you are a resident and that is different. Are Bull Elk tags over the counter? As far as the ares to hunt, are there different zones that allow bulls/cows? Public hunting? Do you guide?
Sorry for all the questions.
Thank you for your replies.
Capper is right on all points.
Bull tags cost 500.00 where as cow is 250.00

Back