• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader season in the rockies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenmtnboy

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Morning brothers,
Well I did get my elk in the evening of the first day.
weird tho I just realized that I got busted by elk the first morning where I killed my elk last year and killed my elk this year where I got busted first morning last year.
I got a yearling cow after it wouldn't quit pestering the two cows I was stalking in on at last light of the first day.
Last light using my flinter, twenty yards at a tasty, dumb yearling.
Oh well at least the pack out wasn't three trips. I got 125 lbs of meat off that little critter and my pack out was just over three miles down hill, not to bad.
Got my deer yesterday morning behind camp. Got pics but left my camera in the haste of getting home before Caroline went back to school, will post pics of deer later.
The first pic is of the alpine ridge I hunted the first morn.
If you look closely you can see elk on the left hand hill side just above tree line.
the rest is pretty much explanatory.
enjoy.
Nathan

DSCF4962.jpg

I always gut and dehead any deer or elk I shoot in the evening to deter spoilage

DSCF4908.jpg

Boned out critters are a lot lighter for packing out.

DSCF4914.jpg

125lbs of meat ready for the mule.

DSCF4923.jpg

thats one ugly mule, needs a bullet :haha:

DSCF4928.jpg

found my bullet under the skin on opposit side.

DSCF4934.jpg

elk brats and taters, breakfast of champions and dirty Mountineers.

DSCF4941.jpg

All your pictures look familiar to me. Are you in the Taylor/ Gunnison area?

Nice job and pictures.

Congrats on the elk. I'm guessing no ivories this year. And my "mule" is way uglier than yours. :rotf: Bill

Man that is great your post are always some good reading and pics. I cant wait to hear about the deer hunt!!! Congrats and all your gear looks great. WHAT YOU GONNA DO WITH THE HIDE?

I couldn't see them either, Hold down the control key and hit the + key about three times. The elk are just left of center.

Robert

Robert Iliff said:
I couldn't see them either, Hold down the control key and hit the + key about three times. The elk are just left of center.

Robert

Very clever. I see now. :grin:

Great job and the pictures are great. Like was said above your post are always good reading and eye candy :thumbsup:

Awesome!!! I love doin it the good old fashioned way too !! I have been having trouble finding a good design for a frame pack for my hunts. Do you think you could post a few picturs of your frame?
Thanks

You know what's cool about his pictures. Except for being in color. They could have been taken 150 years ago.

a fine job there nathan ,good on ya. :thumbsup:

nice photograpy too.

Nothing like filling the freezer early with good eats. :thumbsup:

Some beautiful country you hunt in.

jrmflintlock said:
Awesome!!! I love doin it the good old fashioned way too !! I have been having trouble finding a good design for a frame pack for my hunts. Do you think you could post a few picturs of your frame?
Thanks

No worries buddy.
I used lodgepole pine, light but strong enought to put 100lbs on it.

DSCF4535.jpg

DSCF4579.jpg

DSCF4588.jpg

DSCF4601.jpg

DSCF4607.jpg

Back