• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader squirrels in Missouri

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Missouri's squirrel season opened this weekend and I was determined to make the most of it despite the rainy forecast. I went out a little after daylight behind my house on Saturday morning and the trees were full of squirrels! I missed two right off the bat with my 20 bore pistol. It is a close quarters weapon and I still haven't got it patterned the way I'd like to so I went back to the house and got my 12 bore long gun. It only took about 20 minutes after that to hang one from a belt loop.
BPSquirrel2015-1Small_zpsiaiyuj12.jpg

I hunted a little bit longer but the rain set in so I went back to do some chores. I'm batching it this weekend and the hounds were wanting their breakfast. I piddled around for another hour or so but just couldn't stand being inside with a hunting season just opening. I grabbed the pistol again and brought this one home in short order.
BPSquirrel2015-2Small_zpshpktrjr9.jpg

I needed to get some stitching done so I decided to call it a day after that. Sunday was supposed to be a wash out so I planned on getting back out Monday morning. However, the weather man lied and Sunday morning was nice. I still had a leisurely time of it by fixing a good breakfast, reading the paper and petting on the dogs. Then the squirrel activity started outside the living room and I knew I was going to have to go out again. At one time I had seven squirrels and one rabbit just off the front porch. Fearing for my life and property, I grabbed the pistol again and killed another one. This guy was a tough old devil and didn't want to give it up easily. If you look close at the pistol butt, you can see that it also makes a mighty fine club!
BPSquirrel2015-4_zpsbkgoazjz.jpg

So now I had two young-n-tenders and one destined for the stew pot. I decided to celebrate my good fortune with a traditional Ozarks meal I grew up eating: pan fried squirrel, fried taters and onions, gravy and a buttermilk biscuit. I threw in the broccoli just to add color and to remind any kid reading this to eat your vegetables. I also had peach cobbler for dessert. Just because I'm batching it doesn't mean I don't eat well. Yes, I cooked it all myself. I do all the cooking here - my wife could burn water!
BPSquirrelDinner2015_zpsagsnqccs.jpg

I got up Monday morning and things were quiet. I hunted for about an hour then went back to the house. I did a few chores and messed with the dogs and then started noticing treetop activity about nine. I suited back up and hit the woods again. This time I got three - all with the long gun. They were wild this morning and hardly ever sat still. I really had to wait for a good shot.
BPSquirrel2015-4Small_zpsyq5cgdbo.jpg

So now the guns are all cleaned and oiled and I'm making the house presentable for the wife and daughter when they return this afternoon. I put some meat in the freezer, had some fine vittles and did it all with my two favorite firearms. Life is good!

Darren

Equipment notes: In the pistol I used 40 grains of 3F powder, 1 overpowder card, 1/4" lubed wad, 1 oz. #6 chilled lead shot and 1 overshot card. Everything was the same for the long gun except I used 60 grains of 3F powder.

You Darren are a feller that knows how to spend a long weekend. :thumbsup:

I have recently wished that Indiana had a Spring squirrel season as they've really been active! :idunno:

Thanks for taking the time and effort to post this. :hatsoff:

Best regards, Skychief

Wouldn't know how to improve a weekend like that. Good on you.

Can you tell me at what distances you killed the squirrels with the pistol? And the ones you missed?

Spence

A real nice narrative and some nice photographs. BTW, have you noticed that who ever built your firearms put the locks on the wrong side, LOL?........Robin :stir:

That's looks very good!, I'm a brown gravy man myself when it comes to squirrels though. The country gravy is for the biscuits down here in the south.

Thanks, all! I should have went out again yesterday evening as there were four or five playing around just outside the kitchen door while I was fixing supper. They keep my bloodhound, Jake, entertained though so I don't want to thin them out too much.

George, I keep my shots with that pistol to around 15 yards when I'm shooting shot. The two misses I had were caused by me trying out some shot cups to tighten my pattern. Unslitted cups in my long gun give me a really nice pattern. Unslitted cups in that pistol made my pattern into a slug! The pistol also shoots low and I haven't had time to go to the range and get the front sight filed down to bring it up. So right now, I just use Kentucky windage to get my shots on target.

Anytime any of you all are in southwest Missouri, give me a holler and I can probably rustle up some grub for you. Here's my biscuit recipe in case you want to try it.

4 cups flour
2 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup shortening or lard (I like butter flavored Crisco)
2 cups buttermilk

Mix all the dry ingredients together. Cut in the shortening until the mixture is crumbly. Slowly stir in the buttermilk. Turn dough out on a floured surface and roll it to a 1/2" thickness. Cut out biscuits and place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 400 deg F for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Makes about 12 biscuits.

Darren

MMMMMMMMMMM fried squirrel and gravy . Nice story and pics . Tom :thumbsup:

Tom, both of those guns were custom made for me by my good friend, John Pruitt, in Spring City, TN. That's why the locks are on the wrong side; that and I'm left-handed. It's a pretty good deal. I pick out all the parts, have them shipped to John and he sends me a perfectly good shootin' iron. The long gun is a 12 bore with a 42" Colerain barrel and a large Siler lock. The pistol is a 20 bore with a 12" barrel and a large Siler lock. Mr. Pruitt carved the stocks out of some wood he had on hand and did the inlay work on the pistol with some osage he keeps around for making bows out of. I've got several of his bows too. He's a pretty handy feller to know.

Darren

VERY NICE RIFLE AND PISTOL AND IT LOOKS LIKE THEY WORK QUITE WELL . Tom :thumbsup:

Back