• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloaders in Canada

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deckel

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi all,
I live in Québec, Canada and I wonder if it would be legal to build my own muzzleloading pistol.
Also, does muzzleloading pistol are in the same category that normal pistol (In canada, we need a different permit for hunting arms and handguns).
Thanks, Deckel

Hey Deckel,
There is a recent topic somewhere in this forum that dealt with Flintlock pistols in Canada.I think there is a serch function that you can use on the homepage.All I know is that they are treated the same as modern Handguns and need to be registered.I'm assuming that it would be no problem building one and getting the parts from the US but in order to carry it to shooting events you would have to register.Might be best to ask at the CFC in Miramichi.

Hi Halftail
Since I have a lot of knowledge in machining stuff and actuly own a lathe and a mill, I would have built it all from scratch. That's the other point on wihtch the law could be hesitant for...

Not sure but think that was in the Gen Muz Load sec this last month maybe 6 weeks at most. Hope that helps. Fred :hatsoff:

Hello Deckel,
You can build any flintlock that you wish....do not drill a touch hole in the barrel.
You must have serial number on the action, frame, or barrel, most likely all three.
You will have to show it to a firearms verification officer ( presently there are none! ), to acertain that the firearm is what you say it is. It is better if you do not admit to making it....as that can and will open up a whole can of worms.
A firearm is only a firearm, if it can launch a projectile in its existing state, no touch hole or percussion nipple with a hole in it, the piece cannot be fired.
Under no condition may it be pointed in a threatening manner.
I hope this helps.
Old Ford

What are the laws about shipping a flintlock from the U.S. to Canada if you buy one from a person here? Do you have to go through a lot of paper work and would the seller in this country? Do you have to ship the lock seperate from the gun? Can you even do it without too much hassle?

A working flintlock pistol that can shoot a ball or bullet is considered a 'restricted' weapon under Canadian law and you must have the proper PAL to possess one. You can build the entire gun, complete with a working lock, but if you do not drill the touch-hole in the barrel, then it is not considered a weapon at all. It is only flintlock long-guns that are not considered firearms and they can be shipped to any address in Canada and the US via Canada Post. Any percussion weapon is considered a firearm and the appropriate PAL must be acquired before you can possess one.

Hello fellow Canadian!
Please Also NEVER forget that as a firearms owner here in the north,We have a DUTY to be responsible!
Even more so with our flint lock long arm rights,
With the antique arm classification non registry.
Every Traditional Canadian shooter is a force for maintaining our rights and heritage.
:hatsoff:

:rotf: Thats Funny...I had a Liberal MP tell me that we had NO rights only priveliges.And they can be taken away at any time.
If I built a fintlock pistol I'd just keep my mouth shut about it and take it to the range or whereever and shoot it.
You know..... :winking: :winking: not that I have done that kind of thing.... :winking: :winking:

:grin: :winking:

Unfortunatly thats a very accurate description of liberal policy.So I guess Its either laugh OR cry.

Silent descretion can still be a great indicator of valor I agree......
....But a visible group of respectable and law abiding citicens can Make policy and infulence opinion, and defend each others rights...
:hatsoff:

Hello Rebel,
You can ship any flint long gun to any legal age person in Canada.
The only documentation required is the conditions of transfer ie: (gift, sale price)This is for Customs value imposed om any item entering the country.If it is a gift from your uncle " Betty Sue" there may be no duty collected.
They ( Gouvernment) may assess Goods and Services Tax on said item, which is 6%
I hope this answered your question
Best Regards
Old Ford

Rebel said:
But what about the laws for shipping a flintlock from the U.S. into Canada? Is it a big hassle to do it?

Not at all. Just put it in a box with the appropriate postage and send it in the mail. That's how I got my rifle from TOTW. It had a flint in the cock and was ready to shoot right out of the box. A & H send me my flinter via UPS with no problems whatsoever (although UPS is d*mn expensive). When you fill out the customs form at the post office, do not put any words like "gun" or "firearm" or "rifle". Put something like "antique flintlock" or some other accurate but innocuous description. Although neither nations' laws consider flintlock long-guns firearms, some post office employees are very uptight and do not know the rules, and when they see the word "gun" they get all in a tizzy. I had big problems with this when I tried to order a Traditions Pennsylvania Rifle from a guy in Minnesota. TOTW described a pistol barrel they sent me as "steel tube" and it got through just fine, so there you go.

ya its those fine lines u got to watch for.

TRANSPORTATION OF NON-RESTRICTED FIREARMS

10. (1) An individual may transport a non-restricted firearm only if

(a) except in the case of a muzzle-loading firearm that is being transported between hunting sites, it is unloaded; and

(b) in the case of a muzzle-loading firearm that is being transported between hunting sites, its firing cap or flint is removed

i dont know if this aplies but, watch out next time. if that postal worker decides to get a anal about things, say calls the cops, the boys could say well its has a flint in the cock. mind u if they looked!
now all of us people here are not about to get in a tussle with police but hey, liberals and the plauge i like to avoid them like the.....

A little off base..BUT back around the 70's I had a "friend" that got a US 45 cal "greas gun " smg, its barrel was filled with lead so couldnt be fired. :rotf: Things sure have changed. Fred :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back