• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I dont know what to get either a lyman trade rifle or the traditions kentucky rifle. Are th kentucky rifles bad quality? Are they worth the money? im gona be shootin prety much only balls but maybe a slug here and ther so what should i get? i also like the look if the kentucky better. please help me.

A lot of guys here are recommending the Lyman Great Plains rifle for round ball shooting since it has a slower rate of twist than the Trade rifle.

I think the Traditions Kentucky has a 1/66" rate of twist which is defiantly a "round ball twist".

I've not owned either though.

I have a Lyman Great Plains in a 50cal. perc. I see no reason why I wouldn't buy one again. Accurate and reliable with me shooting it for over 20yrs.

In a choice between the two mentioned rifles, the Trade Rifle or the Tradition's Kentucky... I would take the Trade rifle in a .54 caliber. The one my friend shoots might have a 1:48 twist but it is a real good roundball shooter.... Also with the larger caliber the roundball is all the projectile you would ever need... The Kentucky is a nice enough rifle, but it is .50 caliber and then there is the issue of cleaning the rifle. I am not positive, but I think the Kentucky is pinned not wedged...

If authenticity is not an issue I would go with whatever looks the best to you, most percussion production guns will work well, the pinned barrels are not a hassle when cleaning don't let that out you off on a "longrifle", most folks can find a sweet spot to get good groupd with the 1/48 twist.....read all you can on ML shooting then forget 90% of it and go out and conquer the learning curve, those who used these guns in the past did so with common sense and tips passed down through the generations....this forum can substitute for the latter....if one is cautious.

I just got a kentucky from cabelas and I cant tell you
how pleased I am for the money it is beautiful.It has a
1 in 48 twist but that has not been a problem for me

"... i also like the look if the kentucky better."

In my opinion, you've answered your own question.

If the barrel is pinned, so what? I have built over 10 Kentucky rifles and they all have pinned barrels. Removing the pins to remove the barrel is not a big issue with any of my guns. They are not a big problem to clean and they are exactly what I wanted when I built them.

It's nice of you to ask our opinions, but IMO buying, owning and shooting a rifle is a very personal thing.
You are the one who needs to be pleased with your gun. Whether the rest of us on this forum agree with your likes or not should be more of a matter of curiosity than something to actually act on.

The only thing I've read on this forum against the Kentucky you are asking about is the drop of the buttplate and the height of the comb has combined to cause at least one person to complain that the comb hits his cheek rather hard when he fires his rifle.
This might be more a matter of how he holds the gun and his head than it is of some inherent fault of the rifle.

If you like the Kentucky style, go for it.

I think the shape of that stock is due to not having a wide enough blank to start with to get the style right so it has to hump up then drop, this can be a problem for some shooters as far as fit ans comfort, I have a similar gun with a .40 barrel and the recoil is so light that it is not noticable but a .54 could be painfull...

If you'd like to get a Hawken style and willing to spend a little more check out the www.austinhalleck.com site.

Austin & Halleck are known more for their modern in-line muzzleloaders but they offer a great shooting and very authentic Mountain Hawkin style half stock with iron trim.

It is available in either slow twist 1:66 for round ball or a faster 1:28 for conicals. I have the slow twist and it still stabilizes a conical very well out to 125 yards and beyond. They offer it in flint or percussion and several grade level of birds eye maple.

The gun is much more graceful and authentic than most I've seen that are mass produced. The price is $539 about $120 more than a Lyman but should hold it's value much better than anything from Lyman or Traditions.

Latest posts

Back