• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading for turkeys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddmoore79

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Thompson Center New Englander shotgun that I bought last year and I'm pretty new to using muzzleloading shotguns. I plan on using it to turkey hunt this year. What are the best load combinations to use and what kind of range can I expect from it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Need some details..choked or un-choked...
non-toxic shot or lead?
have you shot bp before?

only ask these ? to help out a new guy!

The New Englander's work!

It's choked with a Carlson's extra-full choke.

As far as the kind of shot goes, I have only shot lead shot with it so far, but I'm open to suggestions.

I do have blackpowder experience. I deer hunt with a traditional black powder rifle.

Welcome to the forum.

Here is one of my favorite New Englander turkey loads:

70 gr. Goex FFg
Two lightly oiled felt wads (I cut my own but Wonder Wads will work for trials)
2 oz. chilled lead #5 shot.
One felt wad over the shot

You will have to test loads with that particular choke tube. I suspect that close range shots would be difficult because the pattern will be extremely tight. Using the felt wads should allow you to load without removing the choke tube.

Thanks! I'll give that a try. What do you use to lightly oil the wads? And do you get pretty good range out of that?

toddmoore79 said:
Thanks! I'll give that a try. What do you use to lightly oil the wads? And do you get pretty good range out of that?
I use Ballistol mixed 4:1 with water (1 oz oil to 4 oz water), soaked overnight and then dried for a couple of days. I have used that load to 35 yds. but this is more due to my hunting technique and not load effectiveness.

here's a repeatable pattern..same gun and choke as yours..
IMG_0184.jpg

95 gr. ff goex
1.5 oz #6 Hevi-shot
IMG_0194_1.jpg

sure lead 6's would work too!

I use harden lead 5's when I shoot lead for turkeys.
Others here like 4,5 6's soft, hard and non-toxic.
Get to the pattern board and do your home work..its pays big-time!

Back