• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My 1863 Starr.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally in my hands, have been a month getting the legal bits done for licensing, partly my fault.
However herewith,
Took this outdoors for better lighting.
IMG_6705.jpeg

IMG_6704.jpeg

The nipples are good but there has been at least one dry firing.
IMG_6706.jpeg

The barrel is ‘as new’
IMG_6710.jpeg

and the mechanical condition is as new also, in fact the loading lever is stiff to move and rhe opening of the body is also stiff.
All numbers match and markings, including the ‘m’ of the Inspector are very clear.
Virtually a new 160 year old pistol.

Last edited:
Finally in my hands, have been a month getting the legal bits done for licensing, partly my fault.
However herewith,
Took this outdoors for better lighting.
View attachment 348603
View attachment 348604

The nipples are good but there has been at least one dry firing.
View attachment 348605
The barrel is ‘as new’
7View attachment 348606
and the mechanical condition is as new also, in fact the loading lever is stiff to move and rhe opening of the body is also stiff.
All numbers match and markings, including the ‘m’ of the Inspector are very clear.
Virtually a new 160 year old pistol.

Awesome, can you send a close up picture of the loading lever latch ?

thanks !

Here are a couple of views of the cylinder from the ‘business’ end.
Note the transition from the taper to the straight bore.
View attachment 348631
View attachment 348632
Congrats on scoring a neat historical pistol :thumb:

I shoot mostly orig. firearms but have never fired a Star 'yet'. The excellent bore with fast rifling should provide you with superb accuracy.

Photo of your Starr's cylinder indicate the front third of the chambers are relieved to allow tighter fitting balls or slugs for tighter fit & accuracy.
Don't know the specs for Starr nipples but If you have access to Treso nipples i'm betting they will have the right length & thread size for you, they've last forever on my revolvers.
A dab of Birchwood Casey 'brass black' will make the Treso alloy match the originals.
Happy Trails,
Relic shooter

Back