• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My 1st BP Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cage Dodger said:
If someone could enlighten me: What is the rollmaked scene on the cylinder? I've stared at the photos till I'm cross-eyed and can't make out any kind of picture. Also, how do the grips attach? I don't see any grip screws.

Cage

It's obvious you know nothing about this firearm. :shake:

Cage Dodger said:
If someone could enlighten me: What is the rollmaked scene on the cylinder? I've stared at the photos till I'm cross-eyed and can't make out any kind of picture...

It's hard to find a good close-up of a cylinder.

C6132C.jpg

Carl Davis said:

That's why I'm asking. I don't claim to be an expert. :bow:

The only BP gun I've looked at closely is my ROA.

Cage

Carl Davis said:
Cage Dodger said:
If someone could enlighten me: What is the rollmaked scene on the cylinder? I've stared at the photos till I'm cross-eyed and can't make out any kind of picture. Also, how do the grips attach? I don't see any grip screws.

Cage

Everybody has to start somewhere. Were you born an expert on it?

The grips on colts are all one piece. There is a screw on either side of the hammer, and one on the butt of the grip. When you remove those the frame that holds the grip comes off along with the grip. to replace the grip with another you just pull the 1 piece grip out of the frame and replace it with another. The replacement grip may have to be filed to fit. This frame and grip also covers/hides the hammer spring.
And yes we all have to start somewhere. So we got to learn to be patient with other members. If some of the responses were directed at me when I was new I might not be a BP shooter.

rebel727 said:
Carl Davis said:
Cage Dodger said:

Cage

Everybody has to start somewhere. Were you born an expert on it?

Certainly not, "Mr. Obvious", but notice I'm not the one critiquing and evaluating it either. :haha:

I'm beginning to wish I'd kept my big mouth shut. I didn't know you had to be very familiar with a particular gun to make a comment on it. The OP stated that the gun had been fired 50 times. To me, it had obvious dings around the wedge (user error) and what looked like gouges around the cylinder (my error). In the future, I'll just watch quietly from the sidelines. :redface:

Cage

Carl Davis said:
Certainly not, "Mr. Obvious", but notice I'm not the one critiquing and evaluating it either. :haha:

No, you're just being rude and obnoxious. :cursing:

Cage Dodger said:
In the future, I'll just watch quietly from the sidelines. :redface:

Cage

No need. Starting out is always a little rough. After a while you learn that the songbirds sing for you, and the seagulls just poop on you. It would help though if their login names were like Herring Gull, Western Gull, Caspian Tern...

:rotf: :rotf:

Live, learn, and carry a handkerchief. :v

I think it was the tone of your posts that got you a few hot responses. They struck me as bit patronizing and denigrating. Then it turned out that you had absolutely no knowledge of Colt type revolvers. Rather than sitting on the sidelines--that's a bit like taking your ball and bat and going home--perhaps you could ease up on the tone of your posts in the future. Just a suggestion, but it might make a difference.

Well, I hope we are done with correcting one another.

Colt identified most of his guns by having the cylinders roll engraved with a scene of something.

His Walker and Dragoons had a scene showing mounted US Army riders shooting revolvers at mounted Indians.
His small pocket pistols had a Stage Coach Robbery being thwarted by a pistol wielding passenger.

Perhaps the most famous was used on his 1851 .36 cal revolver. It showed a Navy battle between the US and Mexico. This is the reason that pistol is called a "Navy". (This scene is also the one shown on the cylinder of the pistol in this post).

During production, if you bought a Colt, you expected to see such a scene on the cylinder.
The "copy cats" did not engrave scenes on their pistols and of course, the Colt copies made by the Confederacy did not have the scenes.

Cage Dodger said:
I'm beginning to wish I'd kept my big mouth shut. I didn't know you had to be very familiar with a particular gun to make a comment on it. The OP stated that the gun had been fired 50 times. To me, it had obvious dings around the wedge (user error) and what looked like gouges around the cylinder (my error). In the future, I'll just watch quietly from the sidelines. :redface:

Aw shucks, no need to pout. :wink:

Russ T Frizzen said:
I think it was the tone of your posts that got you a few hot responses. They struck me as bit patronizing and denigrating. Then it turned out that you had absolutely no knowledge of Colt type revolvers.

That was my point. No need for anyone to get bent out of shape.

Conversing on line is like talking on the phone. In both cases you are not face to face with someone and you can forget about tact. The visual feedback you get from someones facial expressions can help you calculate how best to discuss any given topic. I don't think you need to hang back or feel as though you can't join in. The only bad mistakes are the ones we don't learn from. :wink:

Don

Re your comment about unscrewing the keeper screw and banging the wedge out. I'm new to the sport and new to an 1860 army and that's the way I have been getting the wedge out (turning the keeper screw 1/4 turn and tapping the wedge out with a wooden dowl- I am however careful not to scratch anything)What is the better way??

Don't mess with the screw, all it's for is to catch the lip on the spring and keep the wedge from coming all the way out. After they're used awhile the wedge will disengage with thumb pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leave the screw alone when your taking your Colt apart.
Just tap the wedge out leaving it still engaged with the barrel. If it is slid all the way to the left, it will disengage from the cylinder pin far enough to take the gun apart. :)

Zonie said:
Leave the screw alone when your taking your Colt apart.
Just tap the wedge out leaving it still engaged with the barrel. If it is slid all the way to the left, it will disengage from the cylinder pin far enough to take the gun apart. :)

Seems like I heard practically the same thing somewhere before. :hmm: :grin:

Back