• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My budy, the cheapskate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Discharge every time, you see there is this stump near where I park about 200 yards out that I like to shoot at...

I hate to go to the woods and not shoot at something, that old stump has a few holes in it. :wink:

morehops said:
I always change for a new cap on a new day. But when I think about it, the containers that caps come in aren't sealed totally once you open them, so what's the big deal. The powder and conical that I shoot costs a LOT more than a cap but when you consider how few times I might do it over a year it's not a lot of money to discharge the rifle every day and start new.
Still , I usually keep a charge in the rifle if I expect I'll be hunting again soon. One time I did that and just quit hunting BP for many years. I had a loaded rifle in the safe for about 10 years with the muzzle covered, and the lock and nipple stuffed with patches and a note "LOADED" in the lock mechanism. Finally took it out to the range and believe it or not it fired like a brand new charge. No kidding.
Maybe I just got lucky but I wouldn't hesitate to leave a rifle SAFELEY charged ( my opinion of "safely"). Still I probably would put a feash cap on. Go figure.

I always change my cap from day to day or from hunt to hunt if I am hunting somewhere else for an afternoon hunt. Caps are cheap.

My gun stays loaded for the season with the barrel taped, unless I get caught in a storm. It always goes boom at the end of the season.

During the off season all of my powder and caps are vacuum sealed to protect against moisture infiltration.

I carry two speed loaders in my pocket and three back up speed loaders that are vacuum sealed in my pack. I have been carrying those same three loads around for a few years. LOL

Bob

When I'm deer hunting I'll pitch a cap in a heart beat if I think there's even a slight chance it has a problem.

I keep'em and put'em in a separate tin for the range. I've never had one fail but you never know.

HD

Back