• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My canoe gun is not a canoe gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old Ford said:
Most scatter guns that had a plug of mud in them, shortened themselves!
With a bit of a flare??
Which later had to be fixed. With a saw.
Go figger?
Old Ford

Yup. And often snow, I bet.

One of my daughters shoved her shottie barrel in the snow and merely wiped off the outside, then shot it later. Lost 6" of barrel in the process, but thankfully no one was hurt.

Interesting enough, no flaring at all, just a clean ragged break. I "fixed" it with a tubing cutter, which resulted in a bit of a neck at the muzzle, then added a bead. It shot a little tight for our needs, so I took a tapered hone to it. By a sequence of test shots I was able to open it up to the functional equivalent of IC, which it had been originally.

BTW- As a reminder to all of us to be careful about obstructions, we still call it the Snow Gun.

I had one of those Texas Terry double 12 ga., it was a hoot to shoot, was also really good on ruffed grouse in Quebec moose country.
Silly me, I sold it in a moment of weakness.
Old Ford

OK, this thread was a good read, Sooooo, where's the picture.
How am I sposed to know what a Buff Runner as opposed to a canoe gun looks like?
BTW, what the heck is a "Blanket gun"?
Jon D

It's a gun laying on a blanket. ;-)

The story (as reliable as what "They" say) is that the Indians shortened their guns so they could be snuck into a fort under a blanket/poncho/robe worn over their shoulders. Rumored to have happened in Pontiac's Rebellion at Fort Michilimackinac when the NDNs gathered just outside the fort for a game of lacrosse and a bunch of "belly-muskets" were smuggled in.

Instead of a "canoe gun", this is more of a river tubing gun.

Indian_Blanket_Gun.jpg

Looks like you are correct on that, to me. I couldn't be sure of the spelling - I can spell a few words in English :haha: - so I posted the translation. Loved that show!

shortbow, I like shorty guns. Had a Pedersoli coach dbl for years and only sold it to get a flint smoothy. A flint, 24ga with a 16" barrel sounds really good to me.

Thanks again Gentlemen. JonD, posting a picture is way outa my league :idunno: , if you pm me your email, I'd be happy to send you a picture. That's the only fancy computer stuff I can handle.

My Canoe Gun IS a canoe gun, and here's the proof(complete with canoe-gun-period-correct attire)! :grin:

P7220152.jpg

It wasn't so bad... after soaking in swamp water for about a week, then slow-cooking for 36 hours in the embers of a peat fire.... it tasted like month-old roadkill. I think I've had worse - whatever my grandmother cooked, for instance. She was famous for her boiled veggies with the grubs still on.
:shake:

Stumpkiller said:
Mmmmmm. Nothin like slow-cooked Old Town.

Grumman always gives me a metallic after-taste.

This bateau was excellent pan-blackened with andioulle sausage.

Bateau.jpg

That's the point of barn guns too. I hear barns taste like old cow unless you slow cook them.

I think that the issue gets dicy when folks try to use the term Canoe gun as a period term for a purposely made gun for use in a boat/canoe, nothing to suppoprt this histoticaly, and if these are "cut down" guns then the position/number of the pipes and the barrel thickness at the muzzle are something to consider if wanting to add some sort of historical validity to them no matter what you call them.If one was built properly to represent a cut down gun and not called by some faux historical name (Cutdown Fusil) or (Cutdown NW Gun) would be hard terms to argue about if the gun was done well, it's bad enough listening to all the people talk about their "Tulles". I doubt anyone would raise an eyebrow let alone engage in any cyber battles over them if some thought and proper workmanship was put into them.

Side question: We all know about the Blunderbuss and its use as a guard weapon, and later the short percussion coach guns. Were there any actual / documented short flintlock smoothies that didn't have the bell muzzle of a blunderbuss or that were cut down from a longer gun? I mean one made specifically for the above purpose? Just curious.
:hmm:

(Not intended to derail, btw. Just a brief side trip.) :grin:

Mr. Stumpkiller, those carbines are very cool guns. I don't know why exactly, but I've always been partial to short long guns, old or new. Those two examples are particularly nice examples. From whence come the pix?

I have seen post with references to short made to order guns, the coach could have a non flared barrel there are soome trdae guns also I believe with 24" range barrels but mostly in the 19th century from what has been posted, and again I am not telling anyone they should not have such a gun or that such a gun will not work well only looking at finding an accurate historical perspective, I do not know what barrel would be best if you find a Bear or hunt in the open spaces or pot growing country, my comments are not about the pros/cons of using them, lets not go the foolish path the liner post has taken, it does no one any good to knowingly distort history.

I happen to love the Austrian Napoleonic cavalry carbine. I ran across an example with a rifled bore that ran about .69 cal years ago, but someone outbid me.

Austrian Carbine

Something about that 14" barrel sparks my imagination.

Sorry Stumpkiller, missed it originally still getting my bearings back. Great resource, and some of the prices there are quite decent, I'd say.

A real treat is a grand laker canvas over wood aslong as its not been painted more than twice. Slow boil with some fiddle heads don't get much better than that just my 02

Back