• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My First Black Powder Firearm!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLOCKer

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm kind of moving this discussion over here from the "Firearm Identification" sub-form because she's been identified.

And it's been deluver to my house today by USPS!

I'm so excited to finally own a cap and ball revolver after wanting one for well over a decade. I scored this on for $84 and shipping from an online auction.

Thanks ro this forum, it's been identified as a RAG - Rigarmi 1851 replica probably made in 1972. It seems to be only missing one part - the wedge retaining screw.

It function tests mostly fine, and seems to have a slight, occasional timing issue. The action also feels dirty and gummed up a little. The outside of the gun has been wiped down and oiled, but when I took the barrel and cylinder off, there was a lot of carbon buildup.

Also, when I let the hammer down (gently!) The hammer seems to be pushed off the niple by some spring tension.

I'm considering a total take down of this gun for a deep cleaning. If I do that, I'll touch up the bluing and clean up the brass before reassembly.

I'm really excited to learn how to load and shoot it!

20241018_133545.jpg

Good luck with it. A take down and deep cleaning would be the first thing. Lube up and assemble and see what the action feels like. Then decide from there where to go with things. Do any polish work last as you may be back in a time or two.

I am not up on the open top Colt variations, Replica of a Dragoon or ?

Welcome to the black powder muzzleloader rabbit hole. You'll find there's no bottom and things get even more interesting the deeper you go. Bon voyage on your journey!! Be sure to stick around and tell us your black powder tales. ;)

Back