• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first BP Firearms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pogo57

32 Cal.
Reaction score
These are my first BP firearms. The rifle is a Traditions Kentucky Rifle kit that I put together and the second is a Colt 2nd Generation F-Series 3rd Model Dragoon.

IMG_0101.jpg

Is that everybody's first BP rifle?

Mine, after tuning, accounted for more squirrels than every other rifle I've owned, combined. In a fit of stupidity I let mine slip away and haven't been the same since. I do wish it had been a flinter, though.

Nice job on your rifle. I put together the same kind by CVA. I rushed it so it didn't come out as nice as yours. Still it's a tack driver and love to shoot it.

Don

looks good. I have the same rifle except mine is flinter. I just ordered some stuff so i can strip mine down and restain the stock. Went with TOW Antique formula Original oil finsh. Hope it works good because i and sick of tru-oil.

Let us know how she shoot. Mine loves 110gr 3g goex, .015 patch and a .490 round ball.

Nice guns. I have one of them Kentuckys. Mines the CVA .45cal version. I love it. It`s accurate, and has taken it`s share of game over the years. It`s my most shot smokepole. :thumbsup:

very fine looking too me, you are off to a fine start, congrats, P. I have one of those kit rifles from a widow and I shoot it once a year and it is a very fine shooting rifle

I like your rifle. From the picture, it looks like you do not have a shiny finish on it. Just in my mind, that is how I envision a rifle that was used a lot from the frontier.

But I like Recon's rifle also. It has the shiny finish. That red background brings it out and the brass shine.

We have a good contrast of the two ways to do the finish on a rifle---having a shiny finish, or knocking the shine off.

Good jobs on both rifles.

Outdoorman

Back