• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first deer with traditional muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Gregory

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I went out last Sunday evening with my 8yr old son and sat for a while in the woods. I had passed up several shots at does earlier in the morning because I was waiting for a buck and didnt have my little partner along. That evening I took him with me and right at dark a doe stepped out of the woods behind and to my left. She seen us before I saw her and she blew and bolted. Unfortunatly for her she ran right out in front of me about 50yds and stopped. I could barely make out the outline of my rear sight and couldnt see the front at all while it was on the deer. I raised up over her back got my sight picture and lowered back down. BOOM! Fire flew 3ft out the end of the barrel and with the smoke I was completely blinded for a moment. I didnt see the deer run and couldnt hear it running either. I asked my son "Which way did it go?" He said "Its laying right there." I looked where it had been standing and could see a white belly. I reloaded(I think it took both of us about 5 minutes to get that done) and walked out to it. At about 10yds the deer raised its head and I had to use a finishing shot. The first shot went through the top of the onside shoulder and took out the spine and 1 lung dropping it in its tracks. The prb got complete penetration through the heaviest bone on the deer. I was impressed, .490 rb over 70gr FF black powder. Im hooked on traditional muzzleloading and have been telling all my friends about it. Hopefully we'll get some more recruits soon.

Congrats on a great hunt and getting to spend it with your son. Your are teaching him right.

Congrats :thumbsup: It's always fun when you can take the young ones along!

Larry

It warms my heart to hear of your hunt and that your son witnessed the whole thing. He will never forget it and his dad is now a bigger hero to him then Daniel Boone.

:thumbsup: :hatsoff: Grats!
How long until you get to watch while the boy shoots? :wink:

Waidmanns Heil to your nice doe and this great hunt? :thumbsup:

Regards

Kirrmeister

:thumbsup: Congrats. I can't wait to take my 2 year old hunting, when he gets older. I hope he likes shooting traditional BP rifles as much as I. Its hard to find people who shoot traditional BP around here. They all what to shoot in-lines and do it just for the extra deer season. It used to be called a primative weapons season. Boy, it sure isn't that anymore. I think Arkansas deer taste better than anyother. :hatsoff:

Good for you Sir! We all thank you for passing on the shooting and hunting heritage.You two have a great memory to share,I wish many more for you all.Best regards,J.A.

Back