• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My First Hawkins .50cal gun kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentuckyMan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
sider.jpg

sider4.jpg

sider3.jpg

sider2.jpg

dsc01648h.jpg

So this gun took me a lot longer to finish than the .45 cal Single shot pistol(the Kentucky pistol). The pistol took me about three days to complete, while this Rifle took me two weeks to finish..

Nothing went wrong at all in putting this together. The colors are a bit darker red than what is shown on the pictures here, but over all what you see is what you get... I love this rifle.

The best part about this gun is how quickly your sights come in to alignment as soon as your butt plate touches your shoulder. Very good balance, a bit heavy form what I use to holding up, but still can't wait to shoot it!!!

Can anybody tell me how's the kick going to be on this gun??? :confused:

KentuckyMan said:
Can anybody tell me how's the kick going to be on this gun??? :confused:
Well, obviously it's going to matter a great deal on how big the load is. With a reasonable load of 70 grains the felt recoil will be quite mild - more like a push than a kick.

Fine work you did on that rifle! :thumbsup: Looks like a Traditions Hawken with 1 in 48" ROT. So you can use both PRB and conicals. With PRB I recommend a .490 RB and .010" lubed patch, 70-80 grs Goex or Schützen FFg. The kick is not so heavy with PRB than with conicals.

Have fun!

Regards

Kirrmeister :hatsoff:

Looks good... :thumbsup:

60-80 grains of 2F would be a good range for PRBs.
The recoil is not bad in a rifle like that.
JMHO...

by comparison, a bunch of us, with kids, new shooters and such, been loading our .50's with 35 to 50 gr 3F for target work/paper punching and banging steel on trail walks, where targets are out to 75 yds and hanging steel out to 125 regularly. We dont feel the least bit "under gunned.
Of course, a hunting load is a whole nuther' story!

Nice job on the gun I am thinking of getting a traditions hawken kit myself and yours turned out really well.

I use 80grs 2f in mine. I got one at a flea market last year( 75.00),bore was abused but still shoots good. It shoots TC cheapshots better then RB. Killed two deer with them,with two shots last year. Didn't get a shot this year. Dilly

agab6601 said:
Nice job on the gun I am thinking of getting a traditions hawken kit myself and yours turned out really well.

I used 70gr of 2F a .490 ball and a .018 patch in mine. It gave me 2.5in groups at 75 yards off the bench.

I also refinished mine in oil an ended up with the natural blonde color of the beech wood. I like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm back!!! I had a chance to shoot my Rifle for the first time.
At 50 yards it hit the center of the bulleye no problems.

Let me tell ya a story.
I went out with a friend how had access to a private range. Hahah no cost to us.

I loaded up the rifle with the 60 grains of 2f black powder. I use the ball and patch, with the patch being 0.15 thickness. The loading process was easy, with the patch that I was using. The only problem I had was during the firing of this gun. I pulled the trigger, and nothing happen for 1 1/2 second, then BOOM!! Scared the living heck out of me. My shot was way off because I moved the gun a little. I didn't like that powder, however, I didn't take the time to trouble shoot the issue. It started to rain a bit.

I later figure out that I had too much oil in the nipple or barrel. So pre firing the nipple with a cap could have saved me a shot.

I was still not wanting to shoot any more round balls since I had .45 cal/ .50 cal sabots with me. They are bullets, and form what I read and know, bullets are better than balls, so I wanted to see how they could shoot and then turn back to the lead balls.

The range was dirty for as it always had litter, and sometimes someone would put out some steal targets, to which were always all shot out form all corners. At the time was a little bit cleaner than usual, and all I could find was a shot out paint can. The can was almost useless, but the bottom of the can wasn't damage at all, and made for a prefect bullseye target mat.. NOTE: I did bring my own paper target I forget to bring cans and other stuff to blow up.

So I switch over to the 3f black powder, purred it down the barrel, and sat the sabot at the end of the muzzle; It was a very tight squeeze. I used the starter rod to get it about 3 inches down the barrel, about as far as it goes, and had to ram the ram rod hard Up and down the barrel, Hitting, and forcing the sabot down to be seated. There was one final push down on the end of the rod to finish the seating process. IT was Hard!!!

I figure the recoil would be double the amount that I felt during the test fire of the ball and patch, and sure enough it kick like a mule.
However!! The shot hit the center of paint can without any problems. I do admit I was about 40 or 30 yard at this time, but still the target was very small. The paint can didn't have a lot of damage form the hit, just a thumb size hole. I loaded up about 2 more times, and all shots hit around the same area, the shots were less than 1/2 inches form each others.

During this time I was getting late, and a huge front was coming in. :bull:
So I decided to shoot the round balls this time.
I used the 3f powder this time; since I knew how it would work for me, and just hit the can right above the three shots made earlier. The hole was huge!!! It could had swallow up the three shot easily. The shot made an entire hole about the size of my fist, and an exit hole that was twice as large; completely destroying the other half of the can. Now the Paint can was totally useless.

Glad to hear you had some fun with your new rifle.

Just as a side note, we do not discuss projectiles that use or contain plastic parts or shooting them here on the Muzzleloadingforum.

Anyway, yes, you are correct. It is a good idea to pop a cap on the nipple before loading your first charge. That will blow most of the oil that has accumulated in the nipple and flame channel out so it won't cause the hang fire you had.

That rifle is not really intended to shoot those unmentionable plastic things because of its deeper rifling. That is why it was so hard to load. It will shoot some conicals pretty good and I found a two banded maxi ball that works well in mine. I tried a 3 band and it too was very difficult to load. But you just can't beat the round ball and patch, it will do whatever you want it to. My load in a Traditions Hawken Woodsman is 70 grains ffg, .490 ball and pillowticking patch. Up to 90 grains shoots well and 90 would be a good hunting load.

Looks great!!! I just finished my first Hawken over the summer. Glad to hear you had fun shooting it!

Not trying to break the rules, I just need to know.

So is it going to harm the gun if I do use those Sabots?? I was hard to load but not that hard, I used lube to get them to slide down easier. It shoots very well with them.

Any projectile which is not seated on the powder charge can become an 'obstruction' that can blow up the barrel so always ram the ball/bullet all the way down the barrel.

When shooting elongated bullets I would avoid using 3Fg powder as heavy bullets can raise the chamber pressures very rapidly with small increases in the powder charge.

yep I agree with zonie to a point. you can use FFFg. just back off the load by 10% so if shooting 90 grais only use 75-80. and becuse of the faster burning powder it's going to have more kick then push.

Yeah I agree!

Using the 3f on the ball and patch is like a gentle giant pushing you. While using it on bullets or sabots can feel like a black belt kicking you on the side of your shoulder. :snore:

Latest posts

Back