• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first hunt with my Flintlocks...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to look twice, to see if that was a rabbit or a dead mule. Texas, is on my bucket list, for sure.
Thanks for showing, your adventure. Great shooting.

Be sure to bring the bucket...wild blackberries grow most of the summer and fall. If you feel adventurous, get some tunas off the prickly pears to schlep home and make wine...or is it whine!?? :thumbsup:

I was hunting a friend's ranch just outside Kerrville Tx. A beautiful place of just over 2000 acres of rough nasty rock cliffs and valley's with thick brush and oak clusters. We have the river that runs through and several spring creeks with all kinds of game native and exotics everywhere.Like I said this was my first hunt with the two new to me flintlocks that I have recently acquired ( the ranch is all low or no fence in a lot of places ) the 54cal is a GPR flinter with a black English flint I'm shooting 90grains FFF under a .535rb .015 patch , FFFF in the pan , Ballistol for patch lube. The 32cal is a peiced together poor poorboy job but it shoots well , has a cherry stock 38in barrel the load is 30grains FFF , FFFF pan charge , black English flint , .315 ball , .015 patch with Ballistol as a lube.

The hog I stalked for about a 50yd shot down at the river , the ball broke both shoulders and made quick work of him. He was a pretty thick boar the ball was recorved just under the skin on the off side. I hunted for axis , aoudad , fallow deer ect with no shots but many sightings. So I decided to get that 32 out and shoot it cause I never had yet , wasn't long and I had it stacking in the bullseye so it was time for some calling. We hit prob a dozen places and had a response at all but one place I had 6 different Fox before I dropped the hammer on this girl. She came in was faceing me at about 35yds but was standing stone still and my sight was rock steady when the smoke cleared there lay my first Fox with a flinter. For the coons I got down near the river and creeks where the brush and grass was thick and would call like a wounded coon or a coon fight. One was shot at about a foot off my barrel and all were under 10 steps , the big ol Jack was shot up on an open hill top with a head shot ( no meat wasted by request of my wife ) that shot was 30yds or so. The trip was great and was really a scouting trip for turkey and that is gona be a hoot ( I see a 32cal ball to the head in a big ol Tom's future ) did a lot of walking exploring new places I had never been found 2 broken arrowheads. Was a great few days in the woods with one of my best friends ( he wants a 32 now ) Going to do more calling this week hope to get more fur.......

,,,,,Sam,,,,

A great hunt in a fine piece of real estate. Also plenty food-for-thought on the .32 vs. .36 vs. .40 caliber debate.

Latest posts

Back