• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first "REAL" flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I would say that my barrels are brazed together. There is a definate "yellow" divider between the barrels and rib at the front (no scraping required). However, and this makes no sence to me but at the breach it appears as though it is soldered. Scraping at the contact points at the breach revealed only silver. I supposed the brazing could have been bad the the restoration smith applied solder in this area or is it likely that the breach was soldered and the rest brazed to ease regulation of the barrels. They are very nicely regulated by the way.

Another thing I noticed. There is a top rib only so you kind of get a triangle filling the space between the barrels. The top of the rib, though concaved, is hard like the barrels. But, the center of the triangle (under the rib and between tha barrels) is soft but still a silver color. The "yellow" appears only at the junctures of the barrels or barrel and rib. Thus three discrete yellow lines.

I did not procure any ferric chloride yet. However, according to the paperwork that came with the gun from the restoration smith said the barrels were "fluid steel" rather than damascus.

Dave,

I agree it would be nice to see these guns side-by-side. I would send mine but I am not sure you could afford the rental fee. :eek: :haha: :haha:

Seriously though, I do have a bird dog pup that could use some exercise this fall if you want to come down and bring your gun along. :peace:

Since this was a percussion conversion at one time the pan was replaced so I would expect it was added as a removable pan with the bolt holding it all together.

It does not appear that any preexisting holes were filled and polished out with new ones added. I expect the smith simply made and fit the new frizzen spring such that it used the existing holes.

Back