• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzzy Sites

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Here's a few pics of the GPR I assembled a couple of winters ago. I had my camera out so I thought I'd take some pics of one of my favorite rifles. There's nothing real fancy about it, it's just a good ol' hunting rifle. I chose to leave the nose cap in the white, and the heads on the barrel wedges are polished. I also removed all of the warnings and writing from the barrel. All metal was browned except the lock which had a nice finish from the factory so I left it alone. I used the fixed sights which came with the gun. I changed the cheek piece from a "hump" to something with a little more style and finally I installed a Davis double set trigger. A simple no frills working gun just the way I like 'em. Hope you like it too!
Good Shooting and Best Regards, Fuzzy Sites

GPR1.jpg

GPR2.jpg

GPR3.jpg

GPR4.jpg

Nice job it looks great, it looks like you got the wood down pretty thin where it meets the barrel this is often a place where to much wood is left, I think you did well on it.

Nice rifle! What cal. is it?

Regards

Kirrmeister

I knew I left out something in my description.....It's a .54 cal. slow twist barrel. I shoot a .530 ball,.020" ox-yoke patch and 100 gr. FFG. A bit potent but it shoots this load well.
Regards, Fuzzy Sites.

Nice ... how is the stock finished?

Davy

I stained it with Laurel Mountain Forge Maple stain. I wanted to darken up the lighter colored areas of the wood so it wouldnt look like a zebra, but I didn't want to use walnut stain and make it as dark as the factory rifles. I used Birchwood-Casey Clear sealer and filler followed by a Tru-oil finish. I used some fine steel wool to reduce the shine and that's it.

I used Birchwood-Casey Plum Brown on the metal.

Regards, Fuzzy Sites.

Fuzzy Sites said:
I stained it with Laurel Mountain Forge Maple stain. I wanted to darken up the lighter colored areas of the wood so it wouldnt look like a zebra, but I didn't want to use walnut stain and make it as dark as the factory rifles. I used Birchwood-Casey Clear sealer and filler followed by a Tru-oil finish. I used some fine steel wool to reduce the shine and that's it.

I used Birchwood-Casey Plum Brown on the metal.

Regards, Fuzzy Sites.

:thumbsup: Nice work, as I said afore!
Did you stain first, or seal it first?

Thanx FS! :hmm:

Davy

A few questions for no one in particular about the GPR: First, are the kits difficult to build or are they basically ready to fit and finish?
Second, any recommendations as to where to get either kit or finished rifle?
Third, the locks. Is the flint lock reliable or a source of frustration; how do they compare with quality American made locks? I really don't like the idea of going to more expense to replace one.
Fourth, What are the general thoughts on the GPR round ball rifle. I prefer a .54 and have always thought they looked very attractive. The ones built/modified and posted on the forum always look fantastic.

Fuzzy Sites said:
Here's a few pics of the GPR I assembled a couple of winters ago. I had my camera out so I thought I'd take some pics of one of my favorite rifles. There's nothing real fancy about it, it's just a good ol' hunting rifle. I chose to leave the nose cap in the white, and the heads on the barrel wedges are polished. I also removed all of the warnings and writing from the barrel. All metal was browned except the lock which had a nice finish from the factory so I left it alone. I used the fixed sights which came with the gun. I changed the cheek piece from a "hump" to something with a little more style and finally I installed a Davis double set trigger. A simple no frills working gun just the way I like 'em. Hope you like it too!
Good Shooting and Best Regards, Fuzzy Sites

GPR1.jpg

GPR2.jpg

GPR3.jpg

GPR4.jpg

It does not have to be fancy to shoot well. I hate to get a ding in a rifle, even if it is "so-called", plain. I'll not forget the time I proped my Bedford County rifle against a tree while I reteieved a squirrel out of some brush. My big clod hopper caught the butt and down it went.

Nice job and nice finish! What stain did you use?

Are your sights fuzzy too? I wonder what causes that? I had someone tell me to just move my rear sight forward until it was in focus. OK, now what do I do with the front sight?

Why, that is probably the nicest example I have seen of the GPR in a mighty long time.

Might be time for me to consider one...

Nice job and nice finish! What stain did you use?

Thanks to all for the compliments on my rifle. I thought it turned out well. I glad you folks think so too.
Good Shooting and best regards, Fuzzy Sites.

Well now, hang on there a minute Fuzzy.It's all well and good to have a fine looking rifle like that and all - but does it shoot?

I think you owe us a range report too! :grin:

Ya know, the older I get, the snoopier and stupider I get. I love running into other black powder geeks and going over their plunder and talking about all the junk they have and how it works for them. There always seems to be something to learn or a good story in it.

wow, that sure is one nice looking rifle,

like you, i love my GPR, mines a .54 too.

did you just file the the owners manual off the barrel ?

i need to do that to mine also.

Back