• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Griswold and Gunnison Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duelist1954

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This is the full-length version of my Griswold and Gunnison revolver story. The G&G revolver was one of the guns that came out of the Confederate States attempts to jump-start a homegrown arms program during the Civil War. The Griswold was essentially a copy of the Colt 1851 Navy revolver, though it had some important differences like a brass frame and a Dragoon-style barrel configuration.

For this video I created my own version of the Griswold. I started with a .44 caliber, brass-framed Colt 1851 Navy replica, and changed barrel assemblies. Then I made it so it could be easily converted to look like the pseudo-Griswold that Cullen Bohannon's character carried during the first season of the television series, "Hell on Wheels".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXe7swM5SjY

Last edited by a moderator:
I LOVE THE G&G REVOLVER!! The G&G is my FAVORITE copy of the 1851 Navy! I was really saddened when I saw what CB had for a G&G....and that practically every revolver in season 1 was brass framed. I realize that brass framed revolvers were available, but come on!

Back in the day when K-Mart was the general store of choice, there was a copy of the G&G that I can't recall who made, that had 'Griswold and Gunnison' stamped in an arch on the left (port) side of the barrel breech above the wedge. It was beautifully done and I wanted one badly but could not afford it, I was about 15 years old at the time and could have purchased it over the counter no questions asked. But dad was a shotgun man and said no.

My first revolver was an Italian G&G copy. Bought it in the late 1960's from a local gun shop. Think I paid $35-40.00 then which was the List price. LOL

Nice holster rig !!!

Rick

I LOVE THE G&G REVOLVER!! The G&G is my FAVORITE copy of the 1851 Navy! I was really saddened when I saw what CB had for a G&G....and that practically every revolver in season 1 was brass framed. I realize that brass framed revolvers were available, but come on!
Original Griswold and Gunnison revolvers were only made brass framed, they did not make any steel framed ones.

Original Griswold and Gunnison revolvers were only made brass framed, they did not make any steel framed ones.
I know. The gun that Cullen used most was not a G&G. It's a brass framed 1860 Army type....which looks ok, like the OP built. My other point was that practically every character that had a revolver (wether it be Colt or Remington) was brass framed in Season 1.(I stopped watching after that because of other reasons.)

I know. The gun that Cullen used most was not a G&G. It's a brass framed 1860 Army type....which looks ok, like the OP built. My other point was that practically every character that had a revolver (wether it be Colt or Remington) was brass framed in Season 1.(I stopped watching after that because of other reasons.)
Yup, Colt nor Remington ever made a brass framed gun. G&G and one other southern manufacturer did, can't remember off hand who it was.

I also have a G&G in 36 CAL, that I bought from a member on a gun site, about 18 yrs ago. and I never looked back. the poopo's who said that brass frame revolvers stretch out of time, from shooting, it isn't true, it was done using the loading lever, repeatily so instead it is found out if you use a loading devise to load the cylinder out of the gun it will not happen.

I have a navy Arms copy of the G&G in .36 cal. which is unfired but nicked up a bit from the previous owner. I never picked up any bullets or round balls so It is as I bought it. It is Piata made and early as it has the recessed tip on the loading mechinism. I think I am going to have it befarbed and marked with the proper G&G markings. I am not sure but I think the cylinder is different from the 1851 and is smooth lacking any engraving. I have grown attached to it for some reason.

ThreeCrows

I have a navy Arms copy of the G&G in .36 cal. which is unfired but nicked up a bit from the previous owner. I never picked up any bullets or round balls so It is as I bought it. It is Piata made and early as it has the recessed tip on the loading mechinism. I think I am going to have it befarbed and marked with the proper G&G markings. I am not sure but I think the cylinder is different from the 1851 and is smooth lacking any engraving. I have grown attached to it for some reason.

ThreeCrows
The G&G cylinders were smooth, no engraving.

Back in the day when K-Mart was the general store of choice, there was a copy of the G&G that I can't recall who made, that had 'Griswold and Gunnison' stamped in an arch on the left (port) side of the barrel breech above the wedge. It was beautifully done.

That would be High Standard. Their revolvers were of very good quality, and the base parts were made by Uberti and finished and stamped by High Standard.

Long ago.

The gun that Cullen used most was not a G&G. It's a brass framed 1860 Army type....which looks ok, like the OP built. My other point was that practically every character that had a revolver (whether it be Colt or Remington) was brass framed in Season 1. (I stopped watching after that because of other reasons.)

So did I. If one is a real adherent to that series, the first episode had a facsimile of a G&G that may have been a Pietta. Why the set armorer did not continue with it is unknown to me.

Yup, Colt nor Remington ever made a brass framed gun. G&G and one other southern manufacturer did, can't remember off hand who it was.

Schneider & Glassick, and there only about 4-5 known examples extant, depending upon provenance. I have a photo series of a possible #5.

I think Spiller and Burr made the brass framed Remington copy.

Spiller & Burr made a brass-framed copy of the Whitney revolver. Look it up.

The G&G was only produced in .36 caliber producing over 3600 revolvers. Any repro in .44 is historically incorrect. Pietta marketed many of the .44's just to sell guns.

Regards,

Jim

I think Spiller and Burr made the brass framed Remington copy.
The Spiller & Burr was brass framed and it has a top strap on the frame but it wasn't a copy of the Remington.

It was a copy of the Whitney Navy revolver, which looks a bit different. Below is a photo of my Whitney reproduction (steel frame) and the Spiller & Burr brass framed pistols.

WHITNEY-02.jpg

WHITNEY-01-011.jpg

Back