• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Hawken so far

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawken Dan

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all, This is how far I am with my Hawken.I have most of the parts needed.

DSC08708.jpg

And

DSC08710.jpg

More photo's too come as I now will start with lots of sanding, forming etc and fitting. I will also brown my hardware.This is a .58cal flinter, fullstock with 36" barrel. I got my parts from TOTW and Pecatonica. My stock was ordered for Christmas :grin:
All i still need to get is the ramrod and inlays etc.
I hope to do some type of engraving too (need to learn how to do that too)

Hawken Dan

As a 1st timer on this I am sure it will be lots of fun :thumbsup:

I sure hope I do not mess up.
Hawken Dan

I've been collecting some of the same parts for a flint Hawkens too. Will start on it "someday", as I'm still gathering parts w/o putting a strain on the family budget. Instead, I jumped the gun and started on the possibles bag, bullet block, vent pick, and ball bag. This was all today, as I had the materials and power was out this morning :) . The better half asked where the "lanterns I made were" last night when it suddenly got dark inside...... Good luck and keep us posted!

You're much speedier than I am. I wanted a .58 fullstock flint Hawken and picked up the barrel and lock. Then I packed the parts around for 15 years. I finally got settled and got the rest of the parts a couple of years ago. It has pretty much the same specs at the one you are getting ready to build.

The trigger guard is off a Santa Fe I lost in a fire many years back. It was nice to reincarnate a part of it after all these years.

Hawken1.jpg

The Hawken is the one on the bottom.

Flinters1.jpg

Just take your time and you will have a great shooter.

Well thats cool guys, I'm glad there are more out there building the hawken too in fullstock.

Hawken Dan

BTW I think my Hawken will weigh about 13 pounds when completed. YIKES !!! :thumbsup:

Hawken Dan

Hawken Dan said:
Mike2005 what lock did you use?

Hawken Dan

It's an L&R Large English lock. It was bought back when L&R sent both cocks, the gooseneck and double throat, with the lock and Rice was still with them.

It looks like you have the same lock with the double throat cock. My rifle comes in at 10.5 pounds. Heavy but not too bad to shoot all day in competion. The heavy rifle keeps the recoil down even when using my 90 grains of 3F for my 100 yard and hunting load.

Latest posts

Back