• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My horn, a work in progress...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

contenderfan

36 Cal.
Reaction score
This horn has a neat history behind it. It was a surface find along the Oregon trail. When it came into my possesion, it was extremely filty, and rough. The tip had been cut off and a hole drilled, but that was it. The butt end was still in its rough form and very rough and tattered.
I debated for a while to just keep it as a show piece for what it was, an original horn, started but unfinished, then lost along the Oregon trail who knows how long ago...or by who, and under what circumstances.
But, I decided to go ahead and make a finished horn from it. This is where I am at so far, butt plug installed, I rasped, filed and scraped the neck down to the black underlayer of horn and filed in a groove for a strap. Added a little homebrew scrim to it and still need to make a plug and strap.
I left the outside surface and patina alone as much as possible, despite the large inclusion in the horn it is airtight, and I think it only adds to the rustic appeal but then again I have different taste than most folk. Not a professional craftsman by any means but Im proud of it. I work on it from time to time, adding a little more scrim as I go, here and there. Still lots of room on it to add things of meaning (to me) as I go along.
PowderHorns001.jpg

There's something poetic about this horn laying around half finished for 150+ years only to be picked up later and completed.

Nice job. :thumbsup:

Thanks fellas...I have grown rather fond of this old horn actually. I love the rough look the inclusions give it, and the naturally aged yellow cast to it.

Trench...good to see a fellow Hoosier on here, Im not too far from you...about an hour from Indianapolis.

contenderfan said:
Thanks fellas...I have grown rather fond of this old horn actually. I love the rough look the inclusions give it, and the naturally aged yellow cast to it.

Trench...good to see a fellow Hoosier on here, Im not too far from you...about an hour from Indianapolis.

Hey, always appreciate a shout-out from a True Hoosier like yourself. I shoot at the Fall Creek Conservation Club in Markleville. We have an open shoot every 3rd Sunday. Let me know if you're ever interested in stopping by.

Back