• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My latest daydream: A Kibler escopeta ...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Art, I firmly believe Jim Kibler can make whatever firearm he takes a notion to and hit it out of the park on the first pitch. :cool:
Yes, of course, but the engineering, planning, study, set-up, and marketing to do a limited, niche musket? Not at all feasible financially. The few enactors that want one can just buy the one from the Dixie catalog, and leave Jim to mfg. something that has a bit of demand!;)

First I think their a neat gun. Do I think Jim would do a kit ? No and the same reason he won't make his SMR percussion. HE doesn't want to..! Even though he would have a lot of buyer's. JMPO

Well, Art, you must have an inside line speaking for Jim as you do.
Of course I realize such a project would have to pencil out, and I have no idea what the demand for it would be, but I also believe that if such a kit were available and it dawned on American muzzleloader shooters what a significant role the miquelet-lock escopeta played in this continent's history, new interest would arise. Again, it's a matter of raising awareness and frankly, doing basic education. And I believe that enthusiasm would grow once shooters got a chance to see and handle one of these arms in person and learn its capabilities.
I don't find an escopeta with miquelet lock on the Dixie Web site -- just an overpriced Pedersoli copy of the .69 flintlock Spanish musket.

Someone needs to lend one to the guy in Texas, Chris Hersh? I probably spelled his name wrong, he has the flintlock castings company.

First I think their a neat gun. Do I think Jim would do a kit ? No and the same reason he won't make his SMR percussion. HE doesn't want to..! Even though he would have a lot of buyer's. JMPO
He can't to make a copy of every small-demand musket or rifle that every cotton-pickin' guy thinks up....he's a very small operation, and offers already, kits heads and shoulders above what the traditional companies have always offered; stocks that need a huge amount of work to look good, and which are too complex for the average guy that's not a dedicated builder. Sourcing such a lock would alone force the cost way above a reasonable price point.

Well, Art, you must have an inside line speaking for Jim as you do.
Of course I realize such a project would have to pencil out, and I have no idea what the demand for it would be, but I also believe that if such a kit were available and it dawned on American muzzleloader shooters what a significant role the miquelet-lock escopeta played in this continent's history, new interest would arise. Again, it's a matter of raising awareness and frankly, doing basic education. And I believe that enthusiasm would grow once shooters got a chance to see and handle one of these arms in person and learn its capabilities.
I don't find an escopeta with miquelet lock on the Dixie Web site -- just an overpriced Pedersoli copy of the .69 flintlock Spanish musket.
Good grief, I have no connection with Mr. Kibler whatsoever; I'm just a person interested in the muzzleloading field, and enjoy this site particularly. Common sense tells you that, in today's world, producing such a specialized item for a tiny number of potential buyers is not possible.

He can't to make a copy of every small-demand musket or rifle that every cotton-pickin' guy thinks up....he's a very small operation, and offers already, kits heads and shoulders above what the traditional companies have always offered; stocks that need a huge amount of work to look good, and which are too complex for the average guy that's not a dedicated builder. Sourcing such a lock would alone force the cost way above a reasonable price point.
HE can make or not make whatever he wishes; if a tiny group of guys want a Spanish Musket, have one of the India-made distributors dun the factories in India for one. Or, start your own website dedicated to the subject, and gin up enough interest to generate demand; it would be a useless quest, in my opinion, but then I'm nobody, just sayin'.

The escopeta is an interesting gun that I knew almost nothing about until this thread. I'm sure my wife's ancestors were very familiar with them... they arrived in San Antonio in 1731. Family members were in the local militia, a Ranger-type company.
I've known Chris Hirsch for a long time, mostly thru music, but lately thru ML stuff as well. I emailed him about this. I doubt he has any Spanish miquelet lock/parts, but I asked.
And you are right, @BillinOregon . This a a huge part of American history that is greatly ignored.

It’s the bummer about our hobby being so niche but us being so excited about the details. There isn’t a big enough market to sell most types of these guns, that aren’t custom hand made examples. If there was, we’d have a good off the shelf wheellock!

Back