• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My new 16 Bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba45

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just finished up my 16 Bore yesterday . Shot a few ball out of it at 25 yds offhand . I think I need some more range time :grin: Smaller holes are from grandsons 8mmx57.
In top pic you can see I had to add a chunk of wood as plank of Walnut I had wasnt long enough for the 36" barrel.
Barrel is a rebore I got from John Taylor ,lock is a Sitting Fox ? (I got off of ALR)stock is from plank, buttplate, trigger guard, trigger&plate ,sideplate and pipes are homespun from scrap steel I had.
Laurel Mt stain under Linseed oil and Brownells Dicropan gel cold blue.
AS you can see it doesnt really follow any school , just a picture I had in my head and built to fit me :haha:
16bore001.jpg

16bore023.jpg

16bore024.jpg

16bore022.jpg

16bore021.jpg

:rotf: :rotf:

I shot from the other side of truck .The target was propped behind gun on table for the photo shot . And I do sometimes load off of tailgate :)
:rotf: :rotf:

Alex when you shoot as good as Frank it doesn't take much space to shoot in. I'm surprised he had the truck so far from the target :idunno:

Love this "smoothie" If you ever want to part with it ..I'm here! Wonderfully simple !!!!

Thanks fellers ! She weighs in at 8-1/2 lbs. When I turned the barrel part round I left it a little beefier with a muzzle wall of .100" .
I like a little more muzzle wt. so I have to hold it up instead of hold it down . :grin:

Just might ! I cast up around 7 lb. of ball last evening to do some more shooting .

:applause: That stock wood is sure pretty! I wish the pictures in my head would come out as nice. Beautifully simple!
Ed

Hello again Bubba,
You have really captured the charm of a fine old working gun.
The only changes if any, study the method that Mike Brooks uses to age and patina his creations.
Another thing..............when you are tired of that good old gun send it here so I can work some antique into it. :v
All the best Fred

Thanks fellers and also thank you Stumpkiller for the tip!

Ive started another with a 48" 75cal. barrel blank I swapped for . I taper turned it from 1.25"to 1.0" in steps instead of a straight taper. Stock is Oregon Myrtlewood and it will have homespun hardware also.

75smoothie003jpg.jpg

20 ga. beside it for comparison
75smoothie004jpg.jpg

bench in normal state :)

75smoothie001jpg.jpg

shot of old Charleville lock Ive had long time and am putting to use withsome modification.
75smoothie002jpg.jpg

Back