• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My New .54 GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are correct, sir, as a matter of fact, I almost never use the guns ramrod.

Zonie said:
Mykeal. Looks like you and rusty and I must belong to the "Uninformed GPR Association of the MLF". :grin:

Just out of curiosity, was your GPR also made in the mid 1980's? I notice that rusty's was '83-'84 and mine is an '85.
The 'informed' gun (the one with the spring) is a factory made gun I bought used which was proofed in 1986. The 'uninformed' gun is a kit gun I bought new and put together that was proofed in 2007.

mark....nice job of ignoring the pests here. let em have their lil debate and just keep smilin as you do yore lil chore of love.i hope you have as much fun "building"///finishing your gpr as i am. when these guys settle down some...they have some really good advise for the rest of us that need it. thanks for not entering into anothers debate :v :idunno:

Mark Lewis said:
I added a little epoxy to the ramrod channel and bedded the barrel tang today.

That sounds like a good solution I may try myself next time. I've wedged a sliver of leather into the front pipe, and it worked well. I just carried spares in my bag, but it was all kinda fiddly.

mykeal,
Where did you find the proof mark list to date your guns?A search shows nothing.
Thanks,stude283

Thanks semisane,
I didn't expect it to be so close.Now I know my lyman was made in 1977,but I still need to figure out what model(name)it is.It looks like a trade rifle,but has double triggers and a long patch box with two slots with wood sticking thru?Any ideas?

"Guns Annual BOOK OF RIFLES", Guns Magazine 1975, page 81 calls it:

"Lyman Plains Rifle: Hawken style percussion rifle available in .45 or .50 caliber. Features double set triggers, adjustable hunting sights, walnut stock with brass trim. $225.00"

Thanks Zonie,
Was this an earlier model of the great plains or where both available then?Earlier model of trade rifle?It only has one wedge like the trade rifle,but seems a lot fancier.

I'm not sure when the Lyman Great Plains Rifle was first introduced but the 1975 magazine does not show it.

The Lyman guns shown are:
1861 Enfield Musketoon Carbine, $225
Zouave Rifle, $175
Plains Rifle, $225
Brown Bess, $275

For a reference, the book also shows the following Thompson Center guns:
Renegade, $166
Hawken, $205, Flint, $215
Seneca, $205

Back