• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My new Muzzleloader (pictures)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukewellington

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My first muzzleloader. It is a secondhand davide perdersoli, with the name Richard Hudson engraved on the side. That all I know

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg
:v

Shweeeeet! While I've never handled one, I've always thought that was by far, one of the nicest production rifles ever offered. Congratulations. :thumbsup:

It's an older version perdersoli. What about the newer ones.
Is it a good Gun. I had been hanging in the shop for a few years.

:thumbsup:

Hey Duke,
That is a fine looking rifle!
I had the chance to handle, and shoot one like a few years ago.
Great rifle!
The chap that had it wanted to trade, or sell at the time. I told him I would get back to him.
I waited too long! It was gone. My loss.
I have not seen one since.
Yours is a keeper.
If you notice the balance, it just wants to be held.
Best of luck!
Old Ford

So it's a good Rilfe then? Does the name Richard Hudson mean anything, or is it proablly just the guys name who owned it before me.

I'm also hoping to get a longrifle kit from the USA, but I can't find anyone who will ship. Does anyone know laws regarding shipping firearms. I understand if the barrel is not vented, it can be shipped.

Cheers :wink:

Hey Duke,
If this is the rifle you were asking about Pyrodex for, then get the Pyrodex "P". P is about like FFFg, while RS is more like FFg. I have a .45 Perdersoli Blue Ridge/Frontier flinter that loves a .440 ball, pillow ticking patch lube with Ballistol oil and 70 grains on FFFg Goex. Just switch for 70 grains (by volume) of Pyrodex P. If the bore is in good shape, should be a great shooter :thumbsup: .

Be aware that there is a smaller diameter " powder chamber " in the breechplug at the back( bottom) of the barrel. You will need to determine its diameter, and buy a separate cleaning jag, or bore brush, to fit in that chamber. You also will need to remove the clean-out screw from the side of the barrel, so you can inspect the flash channel. This is usually a pretty small hole from the base of the nipple, to the center of the barrel, behind the powder chamber. Polishing or even enlarging this hole some always aids in keeping this type of breechplug and flash channel cleaner. If you remove the plug , you lose the factory warranty. However, most of these guns will benefit from having that powder chamber enlarged. A .30 caliber bore brush will usually fit the chamber on a .45 barrel, but sometimes only a .22 or .25 caliber jag or brush will enter these chambers. I don't know anyway to learn what works, unless you can get this information from the factory, without trying different sized jags, or brushes to see what fits down there.

The flame from a percussion cap is HOT enough to make the right turn from the nipple into the flash channel, and then another right angle turn into the powder chamber. In fact, if you fire a cap off in the gun at night, without any powder or ball, and watch the muzzle, you will be amazed at how long a visible flame comes out the muzzle of the gun. You can't see this flame in bright sunlight. The good news is that the fire from the caps is USUALLY good and strong enough to burn out any debris, or residue left in the flash channel and powder chamber.

The Bad news is that WHEN IT DOESN'T, you have a huge problem clearing the gun barrel, and then cleaning the flash channel and powder chamber before you can reload the gun.

I suspect that the name on the gun is that of a prior owner. He is probably the one that added the inlays to the stock. Can the owners of the store where you bought the gun tell you anything about who sold them the gun? That would be how I would try to locate and identify this person.

For my .54s I use a AAA pen lite. Just turn it on and slip it down the bore. It's too big for my .45. Maybe your sporting good store will have a smaller light. Hopefully someone else will have an idea.

With a caplock, you have a clean out screw on the end of the drum. Remove the clean out screw, and shine a light straight into the bore and then you can look down the muzzle :wink:

I just picked up a little .32 and that is how I found a minty bore!

Hello from Germany!

First of all you purchased a fine rifle. The older pd production are much more quality as the new ones.
Checking the bore can be done in a first step while you are cleaning it. Then you will notice if there are any rough areas down the bore. after that I'll light it down with a bore lamp. You have to look if there are any rusty areas and it the lands and grooves are still sharp ar if they are round and/or if they are down. I think rusty or rough areas are not a problem, but bad grooves and lands.

Regards

Kirrmeister

dukewellington said:
My first muzzleloader. It is a secondhand davide perdersoli, with the name Richard Hudson engraved on the side. That all I know

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg
:v

that is the plainsman rifle this pic is from my 1979 catalog they came in .32 .38 .45 .50 cal it looks like they all had a 1 in 47 twist it is quite faded,they stopped making them around 1989 1990 they are a very good gun,yours looks to be in very good nick.
bernie :thumbsup:
scan0001-2.jpg

bernie

Thanks for the catolouge page. It's ncie to see what model it is.
I'm hopefully shooting it friday.

All the best

Latest posts

Back