• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Powder Drum Blew Out. Is My Barrel Done For?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like the idea of gluing in a new drum. Some time in the future the new owner might not know and might try to fire the rifle ;-(((((
If you can find the drum, (metal detector), hang it by a string on the hammer when you mount the rifle on a wall. Will be a good reminder to others who might.........

Hello everyone! I know it's been some time, but I just got my rifle back from Bobby Hoyt. He is an absolute genius. So, he was first able to fix the powder drum hole. Next, he said the breech plug was on its last leg. So, he removed the tang from off of the old plug and attached it to a new one. He then drilled into the side of the barrel and breech plug for the powder drum to screw into. He did an absolutely amazing job. So, I was not only able to keep the barrel, but I am also able to very safely continue poking holes in pieces of paper with it. This was quite the saga with a very happy ending. I want to thank all of you guys for all the input and help. This is such an amazing community, and I'm so glad to be a part of it, if even in a very superficial way.

Here's a picture!
20210411_232601.jpg

Actually, that's a simple fix. Drums are not difficult to make using hardware store bolts. Figure out what size bolt is just a bit larger than the existing hole. Then drill and tap the barrel to the thread size of that bolt. Make a new drum from a bolt. You will need to cut it to size, center drill it and tap it for a clean out screw on the end and a nipple on the side. OR, figure out what size would work and get a drum from Track of the Wolf. Search - Track of the Wolf

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back