• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My powder measures...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DGeraths

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been looking through many of my research books for ideas regarding powder measures. There seem to be a lot of horn and antler ones out there as well as some made of wood or bone.

I decided that instead of following the trend of making them out of antler, I would use my woodshop to create them.
The measures pictured below were made with a lathe and hand finished with tung oil.

measures.jpg

The small light colored measure is about 55grn and is made of maple wood. The darker one, measuring out to 65grn is made of African rose wood. (yes... it is a period correct wood for colonial America) The pan brush is made of the same type of wood and is fitted with horse hair.

Just thought I would share. :peace:

Dana

Those are great looking! Think the next time you decide to do one of those, how about some start to finish photo's? That would realy be neat!

Very nice. I like the design and the flared lip, and rosewood is very always a pretty wood to work.

How does the tung oil react to the powder, if at all? I usually use a hard beeswax finish, applied at high speed and buffed out.

Inspirational :thanks: - now I'll have to get down to the shop and find some cutoffs to make a few of my own. (I'll try to get start-finish pix for them interested)

vic

When I turn Cherry in order to make things like pastry rolling pins---I use the shavings in order to get the first finish on the wood. With the lathe turning slowly I grab handfulls of the cherry shavings and carefuly let the shavings prepare the wood, just like sandpaper---by this time the wood could just be waxed for a nice buffed finish---or I use butcher block oil since these are for food useage. Tung oil is my other favourite and produces a beautiful finish that makes the grain of the cherry stand out. I have also used Cherry to do carvings of Shore Birds and have left them a natural finish by also using Tung Oil. :m2c:

Very nice. I like the design and the flared lip, and rosewood is very always a pretty wood to work.

How does the tung oil react to the powder, if at all? I usually use a hard beeswax finish, applied at high speed and buffed out.

In my experience, I have never had any problems with tung oil reacting with anything. It is by far my favorite way of finishing wood and use it quite a bit when I refinish gun stocks. It gives a very period finish and is far more pleasant to work with compared to more modern finishes.

Dana

well i figured glue what kind it doesnt seem like that would hold well :m2c: so dont get made i was just wondering what kind you have inspired me i was thinking of wood for one but i never got around to it :master:

It is a glue called Cyanoacrylate. Believe me, a herd of buffalo could not pull those bristles loose.

Dana

Those are nice. That brush looks like it would clean a dirty pan.
:redthumb:
Redwing

Back