• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Woodbury Style Knife From Class

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a chance to take a class focusing on Woodbury style knives last weekend with Frank House and Joe Seabolt. It was held at the Blacksmith shop at the Goshen Historical Society in Goshen, OH (http://goshenhistory.org/gths-blacksmith). Definitely worth checking out if you can! I believe they will be offering the same class later this year. The knife I made is below.

Update: Joe was kind enough to have a few of us over to his shop last weekend to show us how to make a backwoods style sheath to go along with the knife. It has a rawhide liner, stitched with copper wire. That is covered with walnut dyed brain tanned leather, stitched with linen. The whole thing is then treated with a beeswax solution. If it peaks your interest, Joe is willing to offer a class at the Goshen school (near Cincinnati) if he gets enough interest. Look him up or let me know and I’ll pass along his contact info. It was a great class. I’m no leatherworker but have made a few belt sheaths with a welt. This was a whole new undertaking and I learned a lot of great techniques.

Attachments

• 1E860A5B-0C23-4D2F-98BA-2691E8400D83.jpeg
    1E860A5B-0C23-4D2F-98BA-2691E8400D83.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 3F7A766B-22CD-48F2-A061-E1FE61E6BA14.jpeg
    3F7A766B-22CD-48F2-A061-E1FE61E6BA14.jpeg
    240.9 KB · Views: 50
I did get the sheath made! You can see some photos in my post above this one.
Great looking knife and sheath. Hope to see more examples. Not many are skilled craftsmen making both the knife and sheath (in my opinion). Looks like you are on the way. On this forum for example, would say a guy like @Two Feathers has it figured out with his volume and creativity.

Update: Joe was kind enough to have a few of us over to his shop last weekend to show us how to make a backwoods style sheath to go along with the knife. It has a rawhide liner, stitched with copper wire. That is covered with walnut dyed brain tanned leather, stitched with linen. The whole thing is then treated with a beeswax solution. If it peaks your interest, Joe is willing to offer a class at the Goshen school (near Cincinnati) if he gets enough interest. Look him up or let me know and I’ll pass along his contact info. It was a great class. I’m no leatherworker but have made a few belt sheaths with a welt. This was a whole new undertaking and I learned a lot of great techniques.
beutiful

I had a chance to take a class focusing on Woodbury style knives last weekend with Frank House and Joe Seabolt. It was held at the Blacksmith shop at the Goshen Historical Society in Goshen, OH (http://goshenhistory.org/gths-blacksmith). Definitely worth checking out if you can! I believe they will be offering the same class later this year. The knife I made is below.
I just don't think I could use that if I owned it. It's just too nice. I think I would have to frame it.

Very nice! How did you engrave your name on the blade? How did you attach the tang to the handle?

Thanks David! I had a stamp made from signature, so I just hot stamp it like you would any touchmark. The tang is through tang, so it goes all the way through and is then peened over washer/butt cap. There is also epoxy in the handle, so it has both the chemical bond from the epoxy and the mechanical bond from peening it to hold it in place.

Attachments

• 23F2E7EB-563B-47DE-BC4D-4A93444E5CFB.jpeg
    23F2E7EB-563B-47DE-BC4D-4A93444E5CFB.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Back