• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mystery 10 gauge single barrel "fowler"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wboas

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This 10 gauge blackpowder "fowler" has no maker's marks on either the inside or outside - except two English proofmarks. Overall length is 49.5 inches, barrel is 33 inches.

It takes down easily, and most interesting, the breech easily unscrews from the barrel for cleaning. When the barrel alone is held by a piece of wire and struck - it rings like a bell. Nice steel.

It also fires a cap nicely, but I haven't charged or fired it yet.

I wonder if it isn't "cottage gun", apparently assembled by individuals from unmarked manufactured components.

It has some engraving, as shown. Its ramrod is missing, and the track that holds the ramrod is now detached, but I have it. Two iron tenons are missing as well. The bore is clean and not pitted. The wooden stock appears to have shrunk away from the buttplate, indicating some drying out over time. I don't know what the wood is. The forend is made of horn - all other harware is iron, no brass anywhere.

I'm hoping someone will recognize the pattern, action, and hardware, and be able to offer some comment about its origin. The two English
proofmarks are the "London" and "View" marks respectively.

It's possible this smoothbore isn't English at all, just proofed there. Thanks for any help and opinions...

It's not apparent how to post photos here so please visit: www.nyx.net/~wboas/fowler.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I strongly advise you NOT to charge or fire this gun until you've had thoroughly checked out by a professional.

While I've heard of plugs that loose on old guns, it was not to facilitate cleaning and I've never heard firing a gun with a loose plug being recommended.

Be careful and good luck. J.D.

Agreed, do not fire it, it looks like a good wall hanger with the breech that loose.

It started life as a middle quality British-made shotgun and has a fair amount of charm, too bad someone sanded the stock but it is what it is.

EDIT - I am going to add that the stock has not "shrunk away" from the butt plate, the loose fit was caused by sanding at some point in the past.

full.jpg

fowler.jpg

fowler2.jpg

The internals of that lock give the apearence of it being near to the top shelf ??
The gun has been way over touched up and the makers name may well have been removed . :idunno: :doh:

Congratulations, you are the proud owner of a 'Trader'. Down here in South Africa, being a former English colony, large numbers of these 'no name' guns are encountered. These guns were usually assembled from parts sourced from various makers and assembled, most commonly by the Birmingham gun trade and then sold on to the trade in the colonies.

Legend has it that, if you cared to order enough of these guns from the agent, the builder back in England will stamp your name on the gun. So we have these guns stamped with the names of local trading companies that we know, never made or assembled guns themselves, but imported significant numbers from England.

Some would claim that these guns are of inferior quality yet, I have encountered few that were not of very good quality. I myself, have two very similar looking guns; one a 16 bore, the other in 12. Workmanship is excellent and I regularly take mine afield hunting.

One thing you can look for: on some guns, the engraving on the parts do not match - further proof that such a gun was assembled from parts of different sources.

Your gun looks to be in a good condition. If the barrel is sound, the breech can be tightened by shimming and the stock can be restored to its former glory. It might entail some work, but from the pictures, this gun would certainly be worth the effort.

Thanks for the info about "traders."

When was this "trade" and was it throughout
the English colonies or just South Africa?

What did the stock originally look like?

What we call 'Traders', you would call trade guns. Trade guns were around in South Africa since the very beginning (1652 onwards, but the British only took over the colony in 1815. Your gun would date from around 1850 - 1870.

English gun stocks are usually quite dark. Your stock appears to be re finished. Depending on what finish (oil, varnish) is on the stock, I would strip it down to bare wood and then stainit quite dark. Then, finish with the product of your choice.

Another thing: English checkering during this period was flat top; not diamond form like modern checkering. Most people refresh the checkering with modern tools and completely spoil the gun. Take a X-Acto knife, cut some teeth into the blade and then DRAW it in the checkering grooves to refresh the checkering.Cleans out all the gunk and if you're carefull, gives quite a good job.

Wboas,

Same as we would call hardware store guns in the US. Many were stamped with the name of the local hardware.

Thanks for the additional info.

I will leave the stock as it is. In my view wood looks best with its natural grain showing. Also, I'm faced with the problem of reattaching the ramrod rail, finding appropriate tenons, and fabricating a new ramrod.

I don't think the "loose breech" will be any problem and I look forward to firing it this spring. Nor do others locally, (the Tri-State area of Colorado-Kansas-Nebraska) who are experienced black powder shooters - one of whom wishes to buy the piece if I wished to sell it.

In that context and its condition, I assume it's value to be in the $400 - 600 USD range ??

wboas said:
Thanks for the additional info.

I will leave the stock as it is. In my view wood looks best with its natural grain showing. Also, I'm faced with the problem of reattaching the ramrod rail, finding appropriate tenons, and fabricating a new ramrod.

The ramrod is a simple project, just be sure to use straight grained hickory, available from any reliable muzzleloading supply source.

The rib (or as you call it the "ramrod rail") will not need tenons, it should be attached with soft solder and can be neatly done by an experienced worker.

wboas said:
I don't think the "loose breech" will be any problem and I look forward to firing it this spring. Nor do others locally, (the Tri-State area of Colorado-Kansas-Nebraska) who are experienced black powder shooters - one of whom wishes to buy the piece if I wished to sell it.

That is up to you, no one here will stand in your way, but even if the breech were still properly installed (not loose) I would still recommend an experienced black powder gunsmith look at it and take his recommendations. With a loose plug, I would use it as a wall hanger only, but then, what do I know?

wboas said:
In that context and its condition, I assume it's value to be in the $400 - 600 USD range ??

Possibly, that is near the high end for this one in it's condition. If the original rib was in place and properly attached and the wood and metal finish were as original, it could sell in that range, maybe a little higher.

Back