• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Narain Jagannath Sikligar/NJS Shotgun- any insights?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bczrx

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello,

I found a NJS shotgun for a reasonable price to scratch an itch for a scatter gun in blackpowder. According to some info I found it was probably made around 1970. It has a serial number in the middle 9xxx range.

According to the readings on it and what else I could find, it is a 12g with a .719 bore [modified choke?] The barrel indicates 89gr of BP and a 1 1/4oz lead service load. I don't have real BP so was thinking I'd use something like a max of 75gr of Pyrodex R or some other substitute in FFG, and shoot closer to 1oz loads. I may just stick to 50-60gr loads of FFG substitute as my goal is not hunting but sheer pleasure on a range day.

I have no intention of shooting ball/slugs through it as I have bp rifles in .45 and .50 caliber. I also am not a hunter, so BP season is not relevant to me.

Does anyone have any information to help me understand this shotgun? What about the nipples- anyone know which nipple to get from TOW to replace these for longevity/upgrade?

Thanks in advance for whatever you can share. Sorry, no images- but it looked in good shape to me with no obviously memorable dings or rust spots.

All the ones I’ve seen were pretty good. I think these were made to sell in India, as a cartridge gun needed a hard to get license. I would expect it to have odd threaded tubes for the caps, track may have them?

@bczrx, Track may have the nipples, but you won't find a listing for the NJS shotgun. You will need to measure the threads on the nipples in that shotgun at your local hardware store with a thread test panel. One might expect to see the 1/4-28 or 5/16-24 SAE threads however, the metric 6-0.75 mm or 8-1.00 will be very close. You need to get the right size.

If you like the gun, maybe get a gunsmith to thread the holes larger for a common tube.

Latest posts

Back