• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Navy arms gunnison and griswold prototype

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loiner1965

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi
I have a 1960 navy arms inported GU .36 cal gunnison and griswold which I love to shoot but read they did a prototype version first ….. what’s the difference and as anyone any pics
Many thanks

I think you have an old Navy Arms. They imported the first 1851 Navy. The GU is for Gregorelli and Aldo Uberti. It might have the stamp on it Navy Arms Bogota, NJ. They also bought out Replica Arms and moved to Ridgefield, NJ. The ones with Navy Arms and the RA (Replica Arms) are called the transition revolvers. Ive read they are becoming collectors item.
You can find more info here

https://www.capandballrevolvers.com/MAKERS_AND_IMPORTERS

First I've heard of a prototype replica. May I ask where you read that?
Was reading a post by a chap called Roy .l . Clarke about collecting replica brass framed confederate revolvers and he mentioned GU .36 cal revolver prototype which are very rare as they are only around 6 etc.
First I've heard of a prototype replica. May I ask where you read that?

I think you have an old Navy Arms. They imported the first 1851 Navy. The GU is for Gregorelli and Aldo Uberti. It might have the stamp on it Navy Arms Bogota, NJ. They also bought out Replica Arms and moved to Ridgefield, NJ. The ones with Navy Arms and the RA (Replica Arms) are called the transition revolvers. Ive read they are becoming collectors item.
You can find more info here

https://www.capandballrevolvers.com/MAKERS_AND_IMPORTERS
Yes mine is a GU revolver imported by navy arms and is stamped1960 in Roman numerals …. It’s also stamped navy arms on the barrel but no other stamps are on it .
It’s in very nice condition and obviously it’s hand made as the fit is perfect all over .

Attachments

• 44AE9EEB-6541-4388-A5DB-07A7751CAC2C.jpeg
    44AE9EEB-6541-4388-A5DB-07A7751CAC2C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 30AF1376-5D4F-4D4A-ADE0-976BAB692FC5.jpeg
    30AF1376-5D4F-4D4A-ADE0-976BAB692FC5.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Was reading a post by a chap called Roy .l . Clarke about collecting replica brass framed confederate revolvers and he mentioned GU .36 cal revolver prototype which are very rare as they are only around 6 etc.
Edit Sorry it was Dr James h Davis who wrote it , I don’t know if true or not only passing on info I read

I think I may have found what you are referring to. In the link I posted, there is a section
Collecting Replica Confederate Percussion Revolvers, Roy L. Clark 1-17-24. Looks like Mr. Davis was working on a reference book, he passed away before he could finish it in 2019.
There is a good write up on the GU Griswold prototypes and how to identify them.
Very interesting. I have a small Confederate collection. There is way more than I realized.
Thanks for sharing this. I googled the Davis you mentioned and it took me to my bookmark.
capandballrevolvers.com

Latest posts

Back