• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Necessary Evils?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haggis

40 Cal.
Reaction score
As I read some of the threads posted on this, and other, forums I can

Couldn't agree more...if we break apart into small separate factions, we all lose.

Plus, like me, (who's first muzzleloader was an MK85 inline back in the 80's) many newcomers will go backwards through technology as I have, and I now thoroughly enjoy shooting and hunting my flintlocks

Hadn't looked at it that way before, but you are right. A point well taken. Take care, Rick.

Whenever 3 or more people discuss any issue be it firearms, boats, cars, motorcycles, fishing... the list is endless there are going to be disagreements. This is especially true using this medium of communication because each of us feels quite free to say what we want knowing we won't see the glares given by all of those who disagree.

That we all love Black Powder shooting or hunting or building or history or all of the above and want to learn more from those around us goes without saying. It also keeps us together and bonds us into the group, nay, a brotherhood of basically like minded people.

I say "HERES TO US! May we overlook petty differences and share our knowledge to better us all!!"

Hurrah. Very well put, my good man. Cept'n ya left one part out. With all these new fangled in-line shooters out there, it gives us old-timers a new sport. When we run outa tales ta tell and the winter grows long, well, we got them in-liners ta harrass.
grin.gif

If I had to choose, I would rather have inline people around me than anti-gun people...
grin.gif

After all, "There are three kinds of people in this world... Those that can count, and those that can't!"

Hag, aye cuddent ah sed it no better thin ewe did even iff ah'd bin drankin ! em's purdy wurds, 'n they hits right whur aye live. Hoo sed that ol motorsickle ryders aint got no heart 'n soule ? Huh? huh? Ahm a pacificst, 'n I'll knock ennybody in tha headbone iffn they says different... ...why, they'll wake up breathin thru a scab iff they don't watch out!

ahm kinda proud ta be sew-c-ated wif ya!

Hit ain't how ya picks yer nose....hits whar ya flick tha booger....

To each his own, but the fact remains that the modern guns were a result of a way to get around then unwritten rules that defined ML guns, they are here to stay whether they belong or not, as one cannot close the barn door after the cows have run off and accomplish any thing, though there is a trend in some areas to get back to the basics in ML seasons as the new stuff blends in more closely to modern centerfires,and I think that the false claims that are made about how much better the new stuff is and how PC some of the modern bullets and sights and such are should not go unchallenged for the sake of those who seek the truth and want to make an educated choice, you will not find this in mainstream mags, or at the Wally World gun counter, the current trend is a typical example of the American push to find an easier/"user friendly" way of doing something. Some still feel that the rewards of the challenge are worth the time and effort, as for standing together as hunters/gun owners....absolutely but there is a time and a place for everything...if it does not fit ...you must aquit...useing it in a ML season.

I sincerely appreciate the kind words.

Tg
When I think about telling people something they may or may not want to hear, I remember what an old Amish farmer told me one day long ago.

He said that cows come to the barn to be fed or milked, but mostly to be fed. If the farmer takes the ears of corn and throws them at the cow, he can chase it away with the very thing it came to get. BUT, if the farmer grinds the corn and presents it in the right way, the cow will eat the corn, cob and all, and beg for more.

There may be more than one way to apply this to those who would like to use traditional looking weapons, and traditional gear, but just don't know it yet.

Now that does sound like a plan.....grind up all that modern stuff..(VBG) We all have a different way of presenting a point of view, and expressing our opinions, I have never signed up for a popularity contest so if folks do not like mine then so be it, but I stand by my views as being basesd on logic, common sense and facts, much come by the hard way over 30+ years of loading guns from the front, and I do not care what others use/do only that those who are new to the game are not rolling loaded dice when they make their priliminary choices, I cannot count the times even before the advent of Cyber communications that people have commented that they "wished they had known" this or that before making a purchase. My humble yet sarcastic and frank attempts to seperate the old and the new may or may not help anyone in seperating the wheat from the chaff but it is and always has been and I hope always will be my way, in all lifes endeavors.

Dittos to TG's posts. Grind them up or ban them from the special ML hunts. They totally nullify the original intent of these special hunts. The inlines with their saboted, jacketed bullets and scopes are nothing more than a modern single shot rifle that happens to load at the muzzle.

When I was a kid growing up in South Arkansas in the 50's we found what we thought was a deer track, we covered it up with a leaf, and went home to get more experienced eyes. Because of the lack of deer there was argument about whether the track was hog or deer.

Deer and turkey were nearly hunted out in this part of the US and were reintroduced.

Today, I have seen figures that indicate that a million hunters are afield. Even with the number of deer that are killed we still have a deer problem. Especially in areas where soy beans are farmed.

Hey Haggis..

Thanks for your reply on the book question, I appreciate it.

Down here in Missouri we had a long archery season and a muzzleloader season along with several primitive weapons hunts long before there were compound bows or modern muzzleloaders. I know each state was and is different. My complaint is as others have stated, that is that the bows with training wheels and modern ML's are not in the spirit of what those seasons were originally established for. I was told one time by a guy that "I didn't know that". Well, I certainly do because I know one of the guys who was instrumental in getting those two seasons established. He is since deceased, but I know they didn't intend compound bows and in-line ML's. Oh well....it really doesn't make any difference anymore. A fella told me last week he was going to get a bow so he could hunt more. I asked what kind and obviously the answer was a compound. I asked if it was about adding challenge to his hunt and so he could really have a longer season to hunt deer or if it was about killing deer. Unhesitatingly he answered "killing deer". I find that mentality pretty much fills the minds of most who hunt with compounds and in-lines. It ain't about nothing but "gettin' a deer". Still, as you've said, their numbers have increased our opportunities too. Mostly I believe it is the increase in the whitetail deer population that has increased everyones opportunities.

Oh well....just a few ramblings from an old Ozark country kid.

Vic

Latest posts

Back