• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need a pillow ticking source.............

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbs

32 Cal.
Reaction score
for the "old style" ticking with the dense weave. I am down to my last batch of patches. I see heavy duty ticking on Hancock fabrics, but I am concerned it doesn't have the dense weave.

I have found both pillow ticking and mattress ticking at both Wal-Mart and Jo-Ann's Fabrics. If you go to any fabric store to get pillow or mattress ticking, be sure that it is not the kind with the plastic coating on the back. Some is made with the thin coating to prevent feathers from poking through. It is great if you are making down or feather pillows but it can leave a nasty gooey mess in your bore if you happen to load it with the coated back side out so that it is in contact with your bore. They often carry both so be sure to get the uncoated variety.

Thanks. We have a jo anns here in Jackson ms. I'll check it out. I need a thick dense patch for a .58 Zouave carbine with a .562 ball. It burns through just about any of the standard patches. I have had some luck with the 11.5 weight cotton duck cloth, but still have random tears. The heavy weight ticking I bought in the 80's works like a charm. A bear to load, but it will put em in the same hole if I could hold it. Wonderful deer gun for thick woods.

Pillow ticking isn't the beginning(Alpha) and end(Omega) of a proper patch fabric.
Don't be afraid to check out Denim.
I've been using Denim exclusively for over a decade.

Thanks. My dad shot it exclusively in his .45 flintlock. I'll pick up a yard and see how it does. Can you tell me the rate of twist in my Navy Arms .58 Zouave Carbine made in the early 70's? I have read that it is anywhere from 1:48 to 1:60. The bore diameter is not .58, its more like .575. It has deep rifling.

Just keep the jag really tight on the rod and a piece of tape with a mark on it on the rod to watch the rotation. It can get dicey because you usually only get a 1/4 turn.
Twist rates aren't odd ball and assorted, it's either going to be one or the other and we can only get a close idea with this measurement.
1-48 you'll see a 1/4 turn in 12", a 1-60 a 1/4 turn in 15". Some guy's get weird and confused when they see a 1/4 turn in 14 1/4",,"I have a 1-57' twist" :youcrazy:

I agree with previous posters but will add a couple caveats. Do read the label on the end of the cloth bolt to make sure you are getting pure cotton. Do wash before using. Denim is fine. I used for years on the range. But, most is thick and can require serious pounding to seat the ball. Not desirable in the field. Take a micrometer with you to the store when you shop and make note of the thickness of what you buy and how it performs in yer rifle. Then stick with it if the results are what you want. If you really like, buy the whole bolt and be fixed for years.

Have you ever used a backer patch? Pour your powder charge in then place a patch down on top of the powder. Then seat your patch and ball on top of that. That backer patch will take the heat and keep it off the patch around your ball. Don't know till you try it. Dan.

Its 1:66 rate of twist. I always thought it was 1:48 because it needed a thick patch with a relatively my hunting load (90 gr FF).

If you are burning patches, you might try using an over powder wad. It will either help or it will do nothing but it won't hurt anything. You can make your own wads from Duro Felt. http://www.durofelt.com/image_26.html It is 100% wool. Don't use anything but 100% wool felt. The stuff from hobby shops is too thin and it has synthetics is it that will melt in your bore.

This man [email protected] will make you a punch to punch your wads from the Duro Felt. His punches are custom made and extremely reasonable. I think he gets around $10 for his punch plus whatever the postage is. If you have a drill press, he can make an attachment so that you can use your drill press to press out your wads. The press is not running, of course, you just use it as a press.

Last edited by a moderator:
And there is always drill cloth. JoAnn's may call it drill cloth or utility cloth. It is a dense weave cloth that measures about 0.017" in thickness after washing the sizing out. Drill may not be in the area with the tickings or denims.
be sure to get the 100% cotton fabric.

Amen to that. :thumbsup: It is good stuff, one of my favorite fabrics for making patches.

Latest posts

Back