• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need A Shotgun Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silhouette4570

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Need a little help, please. I've been searching for a commercial source for a smooth bore barrel for a shotgun project. What I'm looking for is a tapered round or octagon to round barrel at least 36 inches long, one inch to about one and a quarter at the breech, I'd like 12 gauge, but can settle for 20. I prefer no wedding band, but can live with one. So far the closest thing I've come up with is a Colrain which has two bands, which I do not want, and 20 gauge, not my preference. If there are no commercial sources at hand, does anyone know of a custum maker who might turn out something like this? I'm wanting to make gun for trap. I've got an original A. WURFFLEIN PHILA single barrel, 14 Ga shotgun which I use right now. I basically want to follow it's style. It has a patent breech and a back action lock. The lock, by the way, looks to be indentical to L&R's, looks like the L&R would be close to a drop-in.

Thanks and any help is appreciated.

Jack

Try track of the wolf, You should fine nething your heart desires there in muzzleloading.

Rayl makes a New England Fowler barrel. Don't know the exact specs on it.
Do a search on Buckeyebarrels.com Think they have some in stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
odd fellow, the closest Track has is a two band, one inch, 20 Ga. If I don't find what I'm looking for that just might have to do.

Jack

Oldnamvet, Rayl's is too long and swamped. I do find plenty of those. Seems like they cater only to Fowler builders. Guess there's just not enough call for what I'm looking for.

Jack

Ok, if you cut back one of Ed's barrels to the length you want, would you have one close to what your looking for?

Swampy, I've thought of that, too, and that is an option. I'm even giving that a little more thought, because Colraine, who I thought I might end up with, doesn't seem to have a great following by some of the threads I've read, to put it lightly.

Jack

Paul, I will, thanks for the tip. By the way, that's a great site. I have some interest in underhammers although I've never pursued it. I do have a Hopkins And Allen that has been seriously neglected and rusted big time. The wood is great, the barrel totally rusted out, the action might be salvagable.

Jack

Thanks, medic, I have what I'm looking for, for this project, but for another one, I'm sure it will take a custom maker like him to do. Long Fowler smooth bores, tapered or swamped, are easy to find, but something for a single barrel shotgun are just not popular enough to commercially produce, I guess. Colrain does make a 20Ga in 36" with two wedding bands. The length is fine, but the gauge is too small, plus I want one wedding band only for this second project.

Try Jack Garner at TVM
I know he makes octagon to round smooth bore barrels up to 11 ga. (75 cal.)up to 42 inches
662-286-5014 I don't think he is open on mondays.
sc45-70

Back