• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help deciding

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m trying to decide on my next percussion gun, I’m torn between a Mississippi rifle, a ‘42 Springfield, a ‘53 Enfield, and a percussion double barrel shotgun. I’ve had an Enfield and a Pedersoli percussion shotgun in the past but regrettably had to sell both. I’m having trouble deciding and could use some recommendations.

I’m trying to decide on my next percussion gun, I’m torn between a Mississippi rifle, a ‘42 Springfield, a ‘53 Enfield, and a percussion double barrel shotgun…. I’m having trouble deciding and could use some recommendations.
Difficult to know what you really want. You seem to have a wish list already made up, so I would recommend keeping an eye out for any on your list and purchase the first one you see in decent shape at a fair price. Might want to start tracking and researching selling prices (not asking prices) to help you know a deal when you see it.

I’m trying to decide on my next percussion gun, I’m torn between a Mississippi rifle, a ‘42 Springfield, a ‘53 Enfield, and a percussion double barrel shotgun. I’ve had an Enfield and a Pedersoli percussion shotgun in the past but regrettably had to sell both. I’m having trouble deciding and could use some recommendations.
If not the shotgun, what do you want to "do" with it? You're not re-enacting, I take it, but the '53 would always be good should you have to sell. Only you can decide! Good luck!

Well, you're comparing apples and oranges. First decide whether you want a shotgun or a rilfe. Better yet, get one of both.

If not the shotgun, what do you want to "do" with it? You're not re-enacting, I take it, but the '53 would always be good should you have to sell. Only you can decide! Good luck!
I was considering using the rifles/muskets for hunting and maybe eventually NSSA, and no, I no longer do living history/reenacting.

I was considering using the rifles/muskets for hunting and maybe eventually NSSA, and no, I no longer do living history/reenacting.

If you want to use your new rifle in the N-SSA, go with the Mississippi. Smoothbore events are also popular, so the 1842 would also be a good choice.

Back