• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help finding hook tang for barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a barrel off a guy on here a while back and I haven’t been able to figure out a tang that’ll fit it. I’ve tried TC and investaarms tangs as well as an L&R but none fit. It’s a .54 unmarked 1 inch octagonal barrel. Original message said it was “Bought out Doc White of GRRW” if that helps. I’ve included pictures of the hook to try and get an answer from the guys who know it all on here. Any ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3124.jpeg
    IMG_3124.jpeg
    699.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3125.jpeg
    IMG_3125.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3126.jpeg
    IMG_3126.jpeg
    646.2 KB · Views: 0
Hi,

I bought a barrel off a guy on here a while back and I haven’t been able to figure out a tang that’ll fit it. I’ve tried TC and investaarms tangs as well as an L&R but none fit. It’s a .54 unmarked 1 inch octagonal barrel. Original message said it was “Bought out Doc White of GRRW” if that helps. I’ve included pictures of the hook to try and get an answer from the guys who know it all on here. Any ideas? Thanks!
It’s not L&R and it’s not Griffith (Hawken Shop). There are some on this forum who can trace the lineage of the GRRW Hawken through all the begats, so posting with a title like “Looking for Tang for GRRW Hawken” may get results.

Your best bet may be to re-breech it with a new setup unless you’re good at fabricating and modifying parts. New hooked breech and tang.
I debated that but I can’t find anyone local who will even touch a muzzleloader. Even asked a few machinists who didn’t want to because of the “pressure produced”. Local smiths won’t touch it because muzzleloaders aren’t their forte.

I debated that but I can’t find anyone local who will even touch a muzzleloader. Even asked a few machinists who didn’t want to because of the “pressure produced”. Local smiths won’t touch it because muzzleloaders aren’t their forte.
Pull the existing breech plug and see what threads it has. There’s a chance you will have a thread that will match an available plug and tang.
1726162079811.png

Maybe time for a bigger bench….. could also rethink your angle of attack so you are pushing into the wall and floor, not pulling away.
Yeah that’s definitely on my list. I’m not a strong or heavy man so I don’t have a lot to put into a wrench but surely it’s definitely on there tight. I had all my weight on a wrench the other day trying to get it to budge to no avail. Maybe I’ll soak it in penetrating oil over night and try again

Yeah that’s definitely on my list. I’m not a strong or heavy man so I don’t have a lot to put into a wrench but surely it’s definitely on there tight. I had all my weight on a wrench the other day trying to get it to budge to no avail. Maybe I’ll soak it in penetrating oil over night and try again
How long of a cheater bar were you using?

Latest posts

Back