• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help finding the best "bessie"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

British Regular

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm new here,but I'll try not to be too exhausting ;)

I'm from Germany, so I beg you pardon for my bad english.

I'm reenacting a british soldier of the american-revolution-era.

I've got an italian pedersoli-reeplica of the "brown bess". But this is not a 100% authentic copie of historical muskets.

I'd like to ask you, where I can get a 100% authentic musket.

I've heard about the-rifleshoppe is a good place to find these weapons.

Can anybody here say something about their parts quality?

And they offer the weapons assembled as well.
Has anybody anx experience with these weapons, or knows, whats the quality of flintlocks assembled by them?

Has anyone here pictures of the "brown bess" from the-rifleshoppe ?

Thank you very much,

British Regular

http://www.therifleshoppe.com/

They have great parts at high prices. They are also generally very slow at getting the parts to you as these are limited production items that are done in groups. The finished guns are even slower.

Not trying to talk you out of ordering, but you should know what to expect.

I would havesomeone work the Pedersoli over to correct the errors.

CS

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum. Your English is very good. It is much better than my German. Good luck with your Bess musket. :hatsoff:

British Regular,
Instead of the Rifleshoppe, you might try Track of the Wolf. They sell excellent kits for a Brown Bess and most of the parts come from the Rifle Shoppe. The barrels are Colerain and the stocks are Track of the Wolf's own. You do have to build it but it builds into a great looking Brown Bess. The best part is that they keep them in stock, so you don't have to deal with the long delivery times of the Rifle Shoppe. The website for Track of the Wolf is:
[url] http://www.trackofthewolf.com/[/url]

Another option is to look at the Indian-made Besses. There are three companies importing them. They are Military Heritage (Canada), Loyalist Arms (Canada) and Middlesex Village Trading Company (USA). They are less expensive than others and I think they look better and more authentic than the Pedersolis. There are strong feelings pro and con on these, but a search of the forums will turn up a lot of discussion (including a lot recently) on these Indian-made Besses. Also, check the websites of these companies as they have good photos of their respective muskets. Good luck.

Hi!

Thank you, but I've heard some bad about the india-made bessies. They are stocked with some kind of tropic wood, very heavy....

Well, I made a phone call to the rifleshoppe, and they have all the parts I need available....they said, that an order will take maximum 90 days,if I order the musket assembled and finished... because they have to make the stock for the desired musket.

Has anybody informations about the quality of the-rifleshoppes saaembled guns? If the assembly quality of the-rifle-shoppe is at least identical to the pedersoli weapons, or outmatches them, then I'll have one myself, and one for a friend....but first I've got to know, what quality their assembled guns have

bye,,

Alex

for the money you cannot beat the indian made bess ,the quality has improved a lot.we shoot the long land pattern and have had no problems.the bayonet sometimes has to be worked on to get a good fit on individual[url] muskets.in[/url] pounds stirling they are about £250 pounds.have a look at albion smallarms website he exports world and he is reliable he has made several guns for me. :v

Well, I'm quit serious on the hobby, and therefor the price for me is subborded to the most authentic and the highest quality in uniform, equipment and weaponry.

Regards,

British Regular

I had a Bess in my hands today. It is currently at Frankonia Jagd in Darmstadt and I'm afraid it's going to have to stay there. The finish is good. The wood's good. Everything is just dandy...except the darn touch-hole was set too low. It's off-center and at the absolute bottom of the pan! The frizzen-spring feels a tad light too. I haven't the talent, tools, workshop or alternately, the money to afford better than Pedersoli's replica, but for a 850,- Euros I want good workmanship.
How is the overall quality of your Ped. Bess? I'm used to touchole liners. Did you notice any wear or enlargement of the drilled vent? How's the ignition speed?
Yeah,.. I'm asking a bunch of questions when you were hoping for answers yourself :grin: I'd appreciate a response just the same :winking:

Hello!

You are from germany? Hi!....

My pedersoli-made brown-bess is a very fine specimen...I'm very satisfied with ist. I hardly ever have problems with misfires or a slow ignition...but I'm no expert until now...actually I'm only using it to reenact, because I've not yet found any place to shot real rounds on targets. But as far as I can say, the pedersoli b.-b. is a very good weapon....

But unfortunately it is not 100% authentic and pedersoli dosn't make any attempts to improve their design, to improve the authenticity of the weapon.....

That'S the reason, why I'm trying to find a b.b., as historical accurat as it is posible, and at a quality, equal to pedersolis or even higher...

I hoope, I was able to help you,

regards,

British Regular

Hey Reg!
Where in Germany do you hail from? I'm in Darmstadt and am a member at the Privilegierte Schützengesellschaft Darmstadt 1538 e.V. Sort of a Hochburg for blackpowder shooters in the region.
(Yep! The gun club was founded forty six years after Columbus discovered the new World!!) We even have an extra range 5 firepoint 50m for muskets with extra large target holders. Smoothies are beautiful, but guns without rear sights sending 3/4-inch lead pumpkins at 750+ mph reduce the lifespan of normal target conveyors. :shocked2:
If you're in the neighborhood let me know. :thumbsup:

P.S. Here's the Website[url] www.psg-darmstadt.de[/url]

Hi!

Unfortunatly I'm a little far away, in northern direction. (Near Bremen) But maybee you know a place where to fire a brown-bess here....

But it's nice to meet you !

Regards,

British Regular

British Regular:-What is incorrect about the pedesolli you have. I have one and do a reenactment here in Greensboro N.C. and never had anyone say anything in four or five years about my musket being period incorrect. Where in Germany do you live . Don't worry about your English it is just fine. Mudd Turtle.

The Pedersoli is a 2nd Model Short Land Pattern and wasn't brought to the colonies until after the F&I War. For a long time it was the most affordable Bess available. It has been acceptable for use in most reenactments for a long time. There are rumors that Pedersoli will be offering a First Model Long Land Pattern. The price will be considerably higher than an India made gun. I have exchanged my Pedersoli Bess for one of the First Models offered by Loyalist Arms. It is heavy, but the correct pattern for my interpretation.

Most of the top quality parts to make a First Model, such as the Rifle Shoppe, can be made into a fine gun. I wish I could afford one of their guns.

Grenadier 1758

Hi!

Some of the pedersolis parts, proportions and measurements are not exact historical....and the musket-sling-sviwels are.....*arf*...not the best ones available. And I miss the historical markings...

Regards,

Alex

Mein Kamrad, I have a hand mortar built by the Rifle Shoppe. I also have an British officer's fusil made from their parts, but not made by them. If you want the most authentic and can afford their price I would go with the Rifle Shoppe. The hand mortar is beautifully built...the lock is a Bess style lock from the 18th century period. They sometimes take awhile to get the product out, but it is worth the wait and I doubt you can find anything more authentic. Their parts are all cast from originals. Micah D.

Hi!

Finally! That the answer i hoped to get, thank you very much! Do you have, or can you make pictures of the motar, going into details, and send me some of them by email?

I'll give you my adress with a personal message.

Regards,

British Regular

Hi!

Sorry, I just found out there's no personal-messaging-sastem at this forum....

Do you have pictures? please send them to alex[dot]bosch[at]web[dot]de

Greets,

British Regular

BR,

For private messages, just click oin their handle, then click on "start private topic" in the choices at the top of their info.

Java Man

Latest posts

Back