• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help identifying an old neglected percussion cap rifle. Any advice on care and restoration would be greatly appreciated as well.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atypical-Bass

32 Cal
Reaction score
IMG_1669.jpeg
IMG_1670.jpeg
IMG_1671.jpeg
IMG_1672.jpeg

That is one gun that anything other than a very light cleaning of the rusty parts would do it a great disservice. If it were me, I would use some 000 steel wool with a little oil on it to lightly clean only the red rust off the metal parts and go no further, treat it like you are carding a barrel that you are browning. You need to know how to carefully disassemble the gun without damaging anything to give it a proper cleaning and don't clean the stock other than applying a tiny bit of Renaissance wax.

The inside of the barrel is probably dark and rusty, the gun may be loaded, 30% of the old guns that turn up are. Your ramrod will tell you if it is. If it stops before it gets to the drum the nipple sits on it may be loaded.

If you want a nice-looking attic condition wall hanger it wouldn't take much work, if you want a shooter you will have to have some serious gun building skills and knowledge. It appears to have been converted from a flintlock to percussion.

Last edited:
Very nice rifle, and in better shape than you think.
Could use some attention to be sure but any efforts would be worth it.

Wow that one has had a rough life. I would have to agree with Eric on this one a light cleaning and hang it on the wall. There are several cracks in the stock and that lock doesn't look like it is the original on it. Found a listing for a gunsmith Jacob Doll in York late 1700's early 1800's.

Back